sako trg-s

wannabee

Considering a Sako TRG-S in 338 Lapua. Anybody have actual experience shooting one of these cannons? Biggest gun so far is a 7remmag. Want to go right past 30 cal., figured 338 would retain vel and energy at longer ranges. Need help on where to start.Just bought a mil-dot 4.5-14LR Leupold for my 7, But want to use 338 next year in Idaho for elk. Also will this scope work ok or should i opt for6.5-20(really sold on Leupolds) Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Wannabe

I have two friends who have the TRG in the Sako 338 Lapua and their only complaint is with accuracy.
They like the larger action but, either one of them maintain the accuracy that Sako has been known for. These are good shooters too.

If the one you are looking at does not have a muzzle brake, it would be VERY advisable to put one on, unless of course, you are a 400 lb Oakland Raider Lineman.

Possibly a better bedding job may help the accuracy a bit? One of the two friends that have the TRG already rebarreled his. He is getting much better results now. He said that the actions are EXCELLENT and he is a gunsmith. He has rebarreled several of the TRGs for customers.

I almost forgot the scope. I think you will do fine with the mentioned Leupold scope. I like the 6 1/2 to 20X Leupold LR with the side wheel focus and also the 8 1/2 to 25X. The scope you have and with the shorter barrel TRG (26") will work out perfect.

I would advise working up a load with the 250 gr bullets instead of the 300 gr unless you go to a faster powder in the shorter 26" barrel. The shorter barrel won't allow the slower powder to burn completely before the bullet is out the end.

I use the 300 Gr (always) in my 338/416 Rigby Imp but, it has a 37" barrel and I am able to use a slow powder to make the bullet work better in the longer tube.

Good luck to you and that may just be a VERY good rifle for your Idaho elk hunt.

DC

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

is it really any better than a 340 wby?? Also brass is terribly high $$$$. Wouldn't a 338 rum have a little more powder capacity?
I have a trgs in a 30-378 and it is not that great a shooter. Just a couple thoughts...!

thanhs for the info darryl, can you tell me what kind of accuracy your friend was getting before he bedded the action and whathe got afterwards. If I can't get around 1moa no use getting the rifle, probably have to make one.I'm really sold on that caliber for longe range elk hunting. Also considering m700 338 ultramag in a sendero. I just don't like the soft REM brass. I have two m700 one in a vssf 220 swift and one in ssbdl sporter weight 25-06; both shoot under 1moa w/ my loads. SC

Hello

They never maintained better then 2MOA (5 shot groups at 100 yards) with the big Sako even after they bedded it and added a muzzle brake. They told me they could only get 3MOA out of the box.

Later
DC

I have the TRG's in 338 Lapua with a Hart 28" barrel and a muzzle brake. I am getting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds and sub 1 inch groups at 300 yds. I bought this gun from Dave King and use a load he cooked up for it with the 250 gr Sierra Game King. I also bought his Leupold 6.5 X 20 50mm LR Scope. I have take many deer with this gun.

Matt

Matt I've thought about rebarreling my 30-378 to a 338. Can you tell me how those 250 gamekings hold together on deer. They have a fantastic ballistic coefficient but I thought they might be too fragile for deer/elk at high velocity.

Kraky,

They have held up fine so far. I have not tryed anything like an elk yet. But I have taken many Sika and Whitetail Deer. I bought the gun to hunt Sika deer on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have lots of 400,500, and 600 yards shots available. I got tired of seeing monster bucks out that far and not being able (actually have the confidence) to take them. So far out to 478 yds I have had complete penetration with a good wound channel. As for staying together. They stay together alot better than my 200 gr Ballistic Tips do
grin.gif
I shot a deer at 50 yds with the ballistic tip. The bullit exploded. First thing to hit the ground was the back of its head. I was afraid that would happen and I proved my suspicion. So the Game King in my opinion hold together better than the Ballistic Tip but not as well as other bullets. But it shoots so darn well I can't leave it
rolleyes.gif

Matt

I have a Sako TRG-S chambered for the Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird. After changing to H-1000 and Ramshot Big Boy this rifle shoots really well. I put a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mildot scope on it and zeroing it at 230 yards it CONSISTANTLY hits a 14" steel disc in excess of 1000 yards by holding 5.2 mils above zero, that is when using Hornady 178 gr. A-max's (so far that has been my flattest shooting round out to 1000). I am currently thinking of rebarrelling one of my
trg-s's to 338 Lapua Imp. or the Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan. I also have shot numerous whitetails out to a little over 450 yards )lazered) and after pulling the trigger all you do is go get the grease hot...

Kraky

You asked above if the 340 Wby was better than the 338 Lapua. The Lapua is a real nice case but just like the Weatherby in the 338/378 with 26" barrels, I believe the 340 Wby Improved cases with 31" plus barrels will yield greater velocity with the 300 SMK. You need to use the slower powders and of course the throating has to be right for enough case capacity. But the other calibers in a long barrel is another story. The 340 Wby Imp with a 32" barrel should shoot the 300s at 2850 to 2925 fps. That's enough for me. Even at 2800 fps you have over a ton of energy left at 1000 yds.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.