Sako TRG-S Synthetic Stock / Cold Weather

Perkules

Well I´m shooting very good groups now... it was 14 F today and I went for therapy 338 LM plinking. 100 meter groups were better than ever,300 yards gave me 1 3/8 and that´s not really possible with a Harris bipod and a car top lol. This is my 300-500 yds moose rifle.

In short : can cold weather make a composite stock more rigid,stiff or something? Enough so to make a big difference? Is the material simply too elastic? This rifle used to give strange horizontal flyers, the load is the same I always use. After some rounds it usually "gives" somehow, a couple of MOA to the left,then it comes back. No matter how long I wait between the shots, it must be the notorious recoil lug thing. I haven´t fixed it yet... and I haven´t been shooting it for a while, I never seriously grouped this rifle in this cold before.

If winter is the fix,I´m not waiting for the summer anymore.
shocked.gif

Ideas? Experience? And no,it´s not the barrel cooling faster, I´ve confirmed that by shooting it really hot.

And Dave, I found a 300 MK supply now (Midway has landed over here). Thanks for getting me started on these lovely little projectiles.
smile.gif

I tried 400 meters today,very windy and slightly warmer than yesterday. Same setup, car rooftop and Harris. Five shots. Good for moose,huh?

I still don´t know what has happened but I strongly suspect the cold weather is stiffening up the stock. These five shots took less than two minutes, there should have been a weird flyer or two.

Windgroup.jpg

I won´t need to shoot moose further than about 500 meters anyway, no such places around here. Finally ... time to practise!!!
smile.gif

If the problem comes back with summer I´ll know for sure.

Petander

Could be two (2) issues with the cold. Could be the cold has "stiffened" up the stock AND/OR could be that the cold has eliminated gaps in bedding or internal stock elements (stiffener rod(s)), etc. Differing coefficients of expansion working to your benefit... Just a SWAG.

One thing I have noticed with my TRGS is the the forarm of the stock is rather flexible, if I set the bags too far forward the weight will make the forarm conatact the bbl. If this happens I get weird fliers, move the bag back and no more fliers. I have thought about doing some modifications to the stock to stiffen that section just havent really got around to it yet.

Whats this recoil lug thing you are talking about?

Well since he hasnt replied, does anyone else know the answere to my question concerning the recoil lug?????

Maybe I´m fighting the windmills but now I started working on the fit / bedding to see what happens. At least I got a new low ES load... well, no horizontal spread in some groups but I can´t take this inconsistency anymore.

There´s lots of burrs and stuff in the stock cuts and the fit is so uneven it´s hard to believe, now sanding... carefully. Then range time to see where it touches... Looks like I´ll eventually go epoxy/glass route when I find a way to keep the receiver from getting permanently glued into the stock.

Whatever comes out of this,it needs to be consistant.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.