Sako S20 6.5 PRC??

General RE LEE

I've got 3 Tikkas and they are all sub MOA with handloads. My boys take 2 of them when hunting.

I'm considering adding a 6.5 PRC to the stable and considering a Sako S20. I like the modular stock system and Sako reputation.

Anyone shot the S20?

Yes. I set one up for someone a couple months ago. Shot 1"@100 with factory Hornady precision ELDX. I am sure you could get better with hand loads. It shot well very little muzzle jump with Sako radial brake so I am sure with a better brake it would be even better. Fairly light and smooth action. My dislike and this is just my opinion. I don't like the stock. Slippery plastic and I don't like thumb hole stocks. I had a hard time getting comfortable behind it. The other stock option may have been better but he bought it with the thumb hole rather than the other option.

I am 6' 3" and the 14" LOP using the two included spacers is a bit short. The adjustable comb works well to obtain a proper cheek weld. The polymer stock is smooth in all locations other than the hand grip which is dimpled. The smooth sections could be slippery when wet. I had a few failures to eject spent cases. I attribute those to the operator not pulling the bolt back with authority rather than an issue with the firearm. These items are minor and are more than made up for by the rifle's accuracy. I hope to purchase another S20 in 300 win mag soon.

I have a Sako S20 300 win mag 1/10 twist 24" barrel. If you hand load its excellent because of the extra long magazine. This is .035" off lands and I could go closer. 76.5 gn of H-1000/Fed .215m/Lapua Brass/200 gn Hornady ELDX so far load development yielded me .621 groups @ 100 yards. Can't find fed 215m primers anywhere so no further load development. Recoil is very manageable as rifle is perfect weight. The S20 is not as refined as my other Sako rifle but it is very accurate right out of the box with cheap norma whitetail ammo i was shooting sub MOA groups. Stock is ok seams a little plasticky but its function is perfect. I like the thumbhole stock its really comfortable to shoulder. They are coming out with three new camouflage pattern stocks soon also. I run the SAKO muzzle brake also recoil is next to nothing in my opinion. But the magazine is the main reason i got the s20. One thing i have found Handloading is that seating depth has the greatest affect on accuracy.
0C39BB10-EB2C-4E99-B0A3-B1702AE9B5E7.jpeg

The 1:10 twist rate on the 300wins is listed as a minumum twist rate for Berger bullets - I would think I would want to buy an S20 with a tighter twist rate but if the 1:10 wokrs well with even the heavier bullets then I think it would be a keeper ( haven't bought one yet - but leaning that way )

I recently acquired a S20 in 6.5PRC with a hunter stock. It shoots the factory Hornady ELDM and ELDx offerings very well. Also the Berger 156 factory load runs between 1/2-3/4" at 100yds. Havent had a chance to stretch anything out yet. It has considerable freebore. I just loaded some 145 Barnes match burners over Rl-26. Functional mag length with that pill is .020" short of the lands in my rifle.

I shot my new S20 Precision in 300 win mag today for the first time. It shot really well overall. I had it suppressed which was a first also. The recoil was noticeable, but not punchy or painful. Just a big push. I was just breaking it in with some cheap factory Herters ammo and some 208gr ELDM handloads I had. Shot about 30 rounds total. I fully expect this to be sub moa.

The 20 rounds from the Herters box all seemed to be grouping well as did the ELDMs. I have to believe that when I put some of my handloads with Berger 208gr LRHT in it they will get better.

I am going to try and get another range session in soon and hopefully get some real grouping info worked up soon.

I was so tempted to pick one of these up. Great value in my opinion. The proprietary mags was the only thing holding me back.
I bought a spare mag from eurooptics with the rifle. $40 each. With the rifle on closeout it was still under $1300 shipped and taxed with the extra mag.