Sako A7 LRH - WOW, Shooter!!!!

ahiaring

Couple weeks ago, my buddy picked up a Sako A7 Long Range Hunter 7 mag from Cabelas. He doesn't reload but wanted to get in the long range game with HSM 168 Berger Loads.

We mounted a 6-24x Vortex PST on the rifle and he went shooting. He put 35 rounds of the 168 VLD HSM stuff down the barrel and it shot terrible. Flyers, velocity spreads of over 100 FPS, and the best he could was 2" at 100 and roughly 4" 3 shot group at 200.

This gun had to much going for it to shoot bad so I talked him into allowing me to load for this rifle and see what we can do with it. He dropped it off last night with the 5 remaining HSM loads he didn't shoot. I gave it a good scrubbing, checked all ring mounts. - all good to go.

I hate messing with seating depth so I purchased 168 berger classic hunter with a BC of .604. I loaded 15 rounds (3 groups of 5) with Fed 215, at 64.7 gr. 65 gr. and 65.3 of IMR 7828SSC. This seems to be pretty good for temp variations and IMR has been good to me before. I seated all 15 rounds to 3.360, which is as long as I could go and still have the magazine feed.

I set the target at 200 yards and shot. Results:
64.7grains - 5 shots, 0.96", 1/8th" below center line - No pressure signs - WINNING LOAD.
65.0grains - 5 shots, 1.36", dead center - slight pressure marks on brass
65.3grains - 5 shots. 1.25", 1/4" above center line - pressure with flatten primers.
HSM 168 VLD - 5 shots. 3.85" - scattered like a shotgun

Observations: This gun can shoot! I understand that the classic hunter bullet profile lends itself to easier loading but man am I impressed. At a BC of .604 this is still a great long range bullet. Based on Trajectory validation, I am guessing the 64.7 load is around 2975 FPS.

Think we have winner hear as far as rifle, scope, load that ballistically gives us a 1000 yard rifle in the right hands.

Yea I've used the HSM VLD stuff in a 25-06 with about the same results...

I saw one of these rifles last week in Cabelas too. Those are some impressive handload results. Any chance you can stretch it out to 500-600 yards and let us know how she does? gun)

I will be doing trajectory validation this weekend at 500 and working steel at 8,9,1000 yards.

Was able to get out and complete the trajectory validations. Put the target out at 500 yards. Drop data I printed was based on 2900 FPS, 3000 FT Elevation, 91 degrees, 25% humidity. Drop chart showed 2.1 mils of elevation adjustment.

5 Shot group yielded 3.85" and 2" above centerline. I inputed this into the system and it gives a true velocity of 2970 FPS. This gave a corrected hold of 2.0 mils. I shot 5 shots and this put it dead center 3.5" group.

600 yard validation called for 2.8 mils. Dialed and shot 5 shots. Wind picked up a bit, but was still able to put 5 shots into 5" group.

Not sure what more you can ask for from this rifle. I am so impressed I have made an offer to buy it from my buddy. I have no doubt that this will ring steel out to 1k. Also, really been impressed with the Tracking and Consistency on the Vortex PST.

Funny I just found your post because today I finally was able zero my Cabelas Sako LRH 7mm Mag and Vortex viper PST 4-16X50 FFP
After trial, error and big frustration for over a 2 months now. I feel like I conquered it. Hand loaded Berger 168gr VLD Hunting rounds, fed 215 primers, 72grains of Retumbo, seated 3.340.
Regarding the target below, its amazing on my 3rd shot of all touching and then 1 click over 4th shot of 3 and then 1 click down and 2 shots touching. That scope along with that rifle is one sweet shooter if you put the work in on the loads. Going to chrono that round tomorrow so I can get accurate shooting chart for stuff way out there.
10553357_839694889374981_2406422402096400127_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I actually just got a Lee single stage for my place just to do load development (I use a buddy's progressive for cranking em out') and I need to keep on trucking with my 06 and .300WM. Trying to standardize on IMR or H4350 if I can, if not, gotta find some 4064 =( Glad to hear that it shot well! the A7 is one of the finest production rifles from a major manufacturer, IMO. If I could find a 7mm WM or STW TRG-S I'd sell a child for it!@

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.