Safety Harness suggestions

birddog 68

Hello to all you tree stand hunters.
I've been using the same hunter safety system pro series vest for probably a dozen years now and I think I'm ready for a new one.
I like how when I pull it out of my tote before going into the woods it isn't all tangled up like a ball of yarn but what I don't like is the weight. Not sure what it does weigh but it's significant especially when you have a backpack with all your essentials a climbing tree stand and a bow.
So what's everyone using nowadays that they like and what have you tried but didn't like and why?
Thanks for any advice on name brands or specific models.
Birddog 68

Lol I had a vest style HSS and got rid of it and bought a newer HSS and wish I still had the older version. Mine currently is a reversible and I also have a minimalist. Keep what you have just in case you buy something that just isn't as nice as what you are accustom to.

Hello to all you tree stand hunters.
I've been using the same hunter safety system pro series vest for probably a dozen years now and I think I'm ready for a new one.
I like how when I pull it out of my tote before going into the woods it isn't all tangled up like a ball of yarn but what I don't like is the weight. Not sure what it does weigh but it's significant especially when you have a backpack with all your essentials a climbing tree stand and a bow.
So what's everyone using nowadays that they like and what have you tried but didn't like and why?
Thanks for any advice on name brands or specific models.
Birddog 68
I use a muddy, Treestand harness. It's not a vest, but it doesn't tangle up too bad, very light and most of all I trust it.

After reading @Lee7588 post I think even if I buy a new lighter harness I'll hold onto my vest. As usual I'm just looking for something better that may not be there.
The HSS Vest Harness is SAFE, tangle proof, has seatbelt like buckles, reversable (camo/orange), pockets, comfortable. light weight. There are two versions - I think. Got a real light one for Jill and it's 1/2 the weight than mine. It is like a mini HSS. It has less vest material and think narrower straps. I will have to get both out and compare.
I know that mine works from experience! Would never use a Climber without one. Been up to 30'-40' in some trees to get the best vantage point.

The HSS Vest Harness is SAFE, tangle proof, has seatbelt like buckles, reversable (camo/orange), pockets, comfortable. light weight. There are two versions - I think. Got a real light one for Jill and it's 1/2 the weight than mine. It is like a mini HSS. It has less vest material and think narrower straps. I will have to get both out and compare.
I know that mine works from experience! Would never use a Climber without one. Been up to 30'-40' in some trees to get the best vantage point.
I would be interested to hear if the other model is lighter than yours. Mine is quite old and not reversible which would be nice for gun season. I use a climber or a lock on stand so I wear mine at all times.

I would be interested to hear if the other model is lighter than yours. Mine is quite old and not reversible which would be nice for gun season. I use a climber or a lock on stand so I wear mine at all times.
I swapped to the reversible one first mainly for gun season now where I hunt I use a ladder stand and rarely use my climber. When I use the minimalist one it is bow season and I use hang on stands and have multiple layers of clothing on. The style harness you currently use was nice because it compressed my layers down so I didn't feel like the Michelin man

I used the HSS vest. The important thing is to make your own tree rope and Prussic knot from climbing rope so you can get some shock absorption when you fall. Tree straps could be dangerous I believe due to lack of stretch.

Will look at it tomorrow and send pics. We have them on clothes hangers in our gear room, they are 20 years old so maybe there are more modern ones available.
Len & Jill

Totally quit using the vest style and have gone to rock climbing harnesses. Safer, lighter, easier. Even cheaper. Only con for me is it attaches in the front-better if you do fall as this way you will facing the tree.

I use a muddy. I fully trust it. I'm a union sprinkler fitter and it's pretty similar to the full body harnesses we have to wear at work when we're 80ft plus in the air hanging pipe. I've never used it with a climber setup though. I only use hang on tree stands