safe recommendations

rjackh

my dads looking for a gun safe. he said he wanted to look at sportsman steel safes this afternoon. i just googled them and read some pretty terrible stuff about them, seems there customer service is non existent. anyone ever done business with them? any better suggestions? he needs around a 40 gun safe. the one by sportsman steel he was looking at held like 12-28 long guns and a bunch of pistols.

How much does he want to spend? Real safes, that actually do the job, cost real money.

Take a look here:

YouTube - amsecsafes's Channel

I'm looking at this brand:

http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/

Also these threads:

Safes-BigHorn, Canon or Liberty - THR

Many agree that amsec/strudy are equal - THR

Sturdy vs. AmSec - Finally Decided - THR

FYI, I find that when I ask a general hunting or equipment question that Google often takes me to THR (i.e. The High Road). So, I joined it to make it easier to look around.

never heard of the high road. im not sure what he is looking to spend, but he was looking at one online that was like 1800. he would prefer something made here in the US, but hes more concerned about the quality of the product. you can just feel the difference in the ones made in china and the ones made in the US when you swing the door open. they dont feel nearly as heavy duty. i think were going to a fort knox dealer tomorrow

Whether you've heard of THR or not, take the time to read those threads. Learn about safes - so you know what you're buying.

Ft Knox is generally a good brand. Quite expensive.

sir yes sir

not trying to bash your THR forum, just saying that ive never heard of it. im a member on a number of outdoor forums but have never heard of THR.

sir yes sir

not trying to bash your THR forum, just saying that ive never heard of it. im a member on a number of outdoor forums but have never heard of THR.

Not my forum - I've never posted there.
However it is a wealth of "general" hunting information so that is why I joined it - to make searching it easier.

As I said in my first response, if you Google a hunting/firearm related topic (like "best gun safe") THR will pop up frequently. (pops up #7 when using those words, for example) Just trying to point you in the right direction, and a lot of the answers you need are on that particular forum.

Good luck on the safe.

Pella I've got 2 of them. Thier made in Pella Iowa. Which is only a couple of hours from me. Shipping would probably be an issue for you. The web site i think is pellasecurity.com

If you live in or near a large city, check the yellow pages. You may be surprised to find a manufactuer right there that builds a quality safe. It will save some shipping charges, no doubt about that. And, you'll be keeping your business 'local'. (OKC area, "Bear Safes". Builds them in OKC. Every shape, size, or purpose you can think of! Your town may have a local builder, too!)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.