SAC 6.5 Sherman Shortmag Desert Tech SRS-A1 Covert

Bucks4me2

This is my first post, I have been a member for a few years, so at this time I would like to thank everybody in LRH, the information here is priceless. So now, I decided to join the party and have a rifle build in a wildcat, as if there was any other logical choice Ha-ha.

First of all, I have no experience in long range shooting or reloading, I come from the archery world. So I decided that the way to get into long range hunting was to select a few experts in the different areas that I needed help with in order to be able achieve my goals. First would like to give special thanks to Rich Sherman (elkaholic) for creating such a great cartridge and the countless hours that he spent helping me all the way through this build, he is responsible for providing me with the drugs that started my addition. Next another special thanks to Mark and Sarah from Short Action Custom (SAC) for a great build, the attention to detail and customer service were incredible, I cannot image ever using another gunsmith and in reality choosing the gunsmith was toughest decision that I had to make on this build and wow was it a good one. For reloading I chose Josh Ruby from North Texas Rifle Precision, he teaches a two-day class on reloading for long-range rifle. For long range shooting, I also chose Josh again, he also teaches a one-day class on long-range shooting, I probably need a month:D, the class will be held on a 100 to 1200-yard range, can't wait. The reloading phase will start this weekend, so far Josh has been very helpful, good communication and has great passion, you can't beat that. I am also planning on doing some mini review on some of the equipment that I will be using while doing the load development, for example I just purchased LabRadar Chronograph from the LRH store, so we will have two devices recording at the same time and I will post our finding.

SPECS
WEIGHT-13.00 lbs. approximately with optics and bipod (house scale)
OVERALL LENGTH with a 26" barrel- 36.5"
SMITH-Short Action Customs
CHASSIS-Desert Tech SRS-A1 Covert bullpup design, w monopod
ACTION-Desert Tech
BARREL-Bartlein, .92 DT contoured SS, 8 twist, 26" finish, 3 spiral flat flute
MUZZLE BRAKE-Thunder Beast suppressor brake
SUPPRESSOR-Thunder Beast 6.5 ULTRA 7 (coming in August)
SCOPE MOUNT-American Rifle M10 QD-L height 1.57 30 mm (ordered the 1.38 height, too short, using a LaRue mount off my AR temporarily)
TRIGGER-Desert Tech 1.5lb-2lb, the trigger is fantastic, Mark from SAC did a little magic to it
DIES-Sherman custom bushing FL sizer and Micro seating die
REAMER-Sherman
OPTIC-March 2.5-25x52mm MTR-2 reticle

Build objective/Experience
I wanted a precision compact design rifle using a 26" barrel, the Bullpup design provides a drastically shorter overall length and even though the rifle has a large diameter and heavy barrel shank and since the barrel and action are moved to the rear and centered over the grip, the handling characteristics of the rifle is greatly improved over a traditional design.
I can't say enough about the build experience working with Rich Sherman, Mark and Sarah and looking forward to working with Josh. This experience has reassured me how important the right people are to having a successful project.

Attachments

• IMG_5929.jpg
    IMG_5929.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 155
Well I got some loads work up today from 60.6 to 62.4 grains, five rounds each using RL26 powder and ELD-X 143 grain bullets. I am going to the range tomorrow and see what happens. I was expecting the C.O.L to be 2.995 but the bullet would hit the land, end up setting it at 2.909.

Attachments

• IMG_6160.jpg
    IMG_6160.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 134
WoW! That is one awesome looking rifle! I can not wait to see how it shoots. This is the first Sherman built on this type of action and I am really impressed with the uniqueness of design. Keep the data coming in because I think this may be of interest to more people.
I want to thank you for using the SS as your cartridge of choice, with all of the options that are out there. I do not think you will be at all disappointed with the performance, and it seems like a perfect match for that action.......Rich

"WoW! That is one awesome looking rifle! I can not wait to see how it shoots. This is the first Sherman built on this type of action and I am really impressed with the uniqueness of design. Keep the data coming in because I think this may be of interest to more people.
I want to thank you for using the SS as your cartridge of choice, with all of the options that are out there. I do not think you will be at all disappointed with the performance, and it seems like a perfect match for that action.......Rich"

Thank you for the kind words, but the decision to go with the SS was a no brainer to me. I did have the wildcat itch ever since I started to read stories about the different wildcats out there, but ones I started to read about the SS on this forum, I had no choice but to scratch the itch. I am so glad that I had been saving for two years for this build, so it was a match made in heaven, the combination of having the money in hand and finding out about the SS is what lit the primer for the build:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.