Ruger M77 Flatbolt 22" .243 Twist Rate?

TnTom

don't have the rifle in hand but I wonder if someone can tell me what the twist rate might be. I will check it when it arrives but am trying to determine the range of bullet weight that is most appropriate for the rate minimum to maximum?

This is a '70 era rifle but don't have the serial number to determine actual year of man'f.

Thanks

Should be something around a 1x9" or so, give or take a half. Don't sweat it; you'll be good for any of the normal hunting weight bullets for the 243 up to 100 grains or so, a bit more if we're talking about blunter bullets. Wouldn't anticipate any problems unless you start getting into the 105-107 grain VLD profiles.

On the light end, no problem with any of the varmint bullets; 60-65-70 grains or thereabouts. Bottom line for most bore sizes, if you want to shoot long range specialty bullets, you'll need to go to a custom twist. For most anything you can buy ammo for at Cabela's or Bass Pro, it'll work in a "standard" factory twist rates.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. At some point in time I''l re-barrel it and my thoughts are 1:9. Those weights would satisfy any of my shooting needs. Maybe slightly faster. 1:8?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.