Ruger American

milkie62

Found a Ruger American in 22/250 in a gun shop for $299.Looks to be in nice shape.Does anyone know how these are for shooting in the 300 yd range ? Thought it would be a decent truck gun for the price.Maybe just add a 3x9 Nikon scope to the pkg.

No idea for the caliber mentioned but my buddy bought the 6.5 creedmoor version. Shot 3/4 moa with hornady ammo. I think it's an ideal "truck" gun. Shouldn't be disappointed. Goodluck

I just picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor and been trying different loads in it. So far it likes 123gr. Hornady SST with Hornady brass, CCI 200 L.R. primers and Reloader 15 powder. 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards.
Also, I have a R.A.R. in 30/06 that has about the same accuracy but I had to sand the one side of the barrel channel because it was putting pressure on the barrel and throwing the shots off. It's all real good now. And the 06 has a 3x9x40 Nikon on it.
Good luck and that should be a good scope for your rifle too, I don't think caliber matters in the way these rifles shoot. Just about everybody I've talked to that has one of these rifles say the same thing, they are very accurate for a factory rifle.

Thanks for the replies.I wanted a nice long range groundhog gun should I just happen to throw it in the truck on a Saturday morning and possibly just leave it for a couple of weeks.Also read an article on putting a Boyd stock on one.It sure was pretty for the price which was very reasonable IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.