Ruger American in 6mm CM or Savage 110 in 22-250?

TB2BLAZER

I have seen the discussions on caliber comparisons of 6mm cm and 22-250. I know the differences in the 2. The pros and cons ect. I know the difference between the 2 models the Ruger and Savage. I would love a 110 in my price range in 6mm CM but it's more than I want to spend on a "truck gun" essentially. I reload all my own ammo and will be shooting 400 yards and up at Prarie dogs and coyotes. My question is even though the ballistics are better in the 6mm does it justify buying it in a lower quality platform like the Ruger American for longer distances above 400 yards? Or would it be better to compromise on the ballistics a bit to buy the better Savage in 22-250? I would move up to a 6.5 cm but I want to keep recoil to a minimum and keep cost to shoot minimum.

I have seen the discussions on caliber comparisons of 6mm cm and 22-250. I know the differences in the 2. The pros and cons ect. I know the difference between the 2 models the Ruger and Savage. I would love a 110 in my price range in 6mm CM but it's more than I want to spend on a "truck gun" essentially. I reload all my own ammo and will be shooting 400 yards and up at Prarie dogs and coyotes. My question is even though the ballistics are better in the 6mm does it justify buying it in a lower quality platform like the Ruger American for longer distances above 400 yards? Or would it be better to compromise on the ballistics a bit to buy the better Savage in 22-250? I would move up to a 6.5 cm but I want to keep recoil to a minimum and keep cost to shoot minimum.
It appears you have already answered your question.

I've always wanted to build a 6.5 cm. I'm worried that if I do buy the 110 in 6.5 that I will end up dumping money into it, make it heavy and turn it into a really precision rifle. And totally defeat the purpose I having a cheaper gun that I could sit next to me and shoot Prarie dogs and coyotes at. I wanted something small, light, little recoil (counter productive I know), bolt action, and decent at longer ranges. I already have a built out Ruger 10/22, and a precision AR so I want a bolt gun.

I really like a ruger American for exactly what you described. Mine is in 223 though. And I wish I had got a shorter barrel mine is 20. I'm not crazy about the bolt smoothness but it shoots much better then i would have guessed.

I've always wanted to build a 6.5 cm. I'm worried that if I do buy the 110 in 6.5 that I will end up dumping money into it, make it heavy and turn it into a really precision rifle. And totally defeat the purpose I having a cheaper gun that I could sit next to me and shoot Prarie dogs and coyotes at. I wanted something small, light, little recoil (counter productive I know), bolt action, and decent at longer ranges. I already have a built out Ruger 10/22, and a precision AR so I want a bolt gun.
Only you can scratch the itch. What is your budget?

I really like a ruger American for exactly what you described. Mine is in 223 though. And I wish I had got a shorter barrel mine is 20. I'm not crazy about the bolt smoothness but it shoots much better then i would have guessed.
That's good to hear. Thank you for the reply.

I do not have a Ruger American but I have 2 Ruger M77 MKIIs and they both shoot. I am a big fan of Savage rifles (factory and semi-custom, mostly 110/111s), and they also all shoot. You are going to be hard-pressed to find a better price than the CZ's features. There is nothing cheap about it other than the price.

1700248898038.png

Last edited:
I do not have a Ruger American but I have 2 Ruger M77 MKIIs and they both shoot. I am a big fan of Savage rifles (factory and semi-custom, mostly 110/111s), and they also all shoot. You are going to be hard-pressed to find a better price than the CZ's features. There is nothing cheap about it other than the price.

View attachment 511745
I don't know much about the CZ's. What do they have over the Ruger American?

Recent Posts