Ruger 10/22 50 yard accuracy

wadedc

My Father is going to buy a ruger sporter 10/22 sporter with 18 1/2" barrel. What size groups can he expect at 50 yards with med priced ammo?

What ammo are you using?

Wade

I use winchester subsonics through mine, I get 3/4" groups at 50

The rifle is a completely stock 10/22 carbine with a suppressor and 3-9 bushnell banner scope

I have had a10-22 for 30 years and it never shot better than 1.5 at 50 yards. Still its a fun gun. Best recomendation is to put a new after market barrel on it, then it will perform.

Ammo----------------Inches/5 shot group
Eley Scorpion-------------1.0
1248 fps

Rem Yellow Jackets-------1.0
1500fps

Rem Yellow Jacket 10 rd group = 2.0 inches

Rem Golden Hi Vel--------1.75
1255 fps

Rem Target std vel--------3.0
1150fps

CCI Green Tag Comp------ 3.5
1070fps

CCI Std Vel-----------------4.0
1070fps

RWS Match *** short cycles--3.75
1035 fps

Must be a NZ thing, I also shoot mine with Australian Winchester subsonic hollow points through a suppressor, and the last time I benched it the 100 yard group for 10 shots was 1.75 inches and 50 just on .75.
The rifle is 18 years old and has shot over 5000 rounds. The only mod is a slip on recoil pad to make the stock suitable for someone taller than 4 foot tall.

If it holds under two minutes of angle, your doing fairly well.

The better ammunitions (Eley, Lapua, RWS) will certainly aid in improving this, but you will pay for it too.

Should you ever desire more (accuracy) I'd suggest a better barrel. Several companies offer these, but I'd advocate for a Lilja. (Which is more than the whole gun by the way)

Good luck

If you haven't tried the Wincherster PowerPoint HP you need to. I have 2 10/22's that will shoot half inch groups with them. I have a S&W 22 that I have shot 3/4 inch groups at 50 from sand bags.

I tested the ammo on a cold February day. You will note the remarks about it short cycling. As the temperature drops lower and lower this gets worse and worse such that at about 15 degrees F only the high speed stuff is reliable in my rifle and the parts have been smoothed a lot to help the cycling issue.

I retested the ammo again in warmer weather and the accuracy results were still the same except that I also tested some high speed CCI and it was about the same as the Yellow Jackets. My rifle like expensive bullets.

Bottom line is you have to test them yourself just like with a centerfire rifle. Being as you live up in warm and sunny Canada watch the short cycling issue.

10/22

I have a 10/22 kindda tricked out a tad.. Gotta target barrel, pod,trigger, bedded, etc.. I Stand by and stick to Eley. I can stay around an inch at 100.
Shot againist a guy awhile back with a stock 10/22. He had bedded the action and the barrel in two places(at front and rear of each) This somewhat stock 10/22 punched out great numbers (1.5moa)on Winchester HP ammo.
I did my own trigger job. Took a micro file and creamic plate, filled the clasp down and then took the ceramic plate and polished it to a mirror finish. The trig is at around a pound now. Drilled and tapped the trigger guard for a trigger stop. Works Great.

I have never put a barrel on my 10/22 because I did not want to change the stock. It is a full lenght lam. stock. There is a little stainless piece on the end of the stock that connects it to the barrel. Great looking gun, but did not shoot worth a lick. I bedded the action and barrel made sure that the little end piece did not hit the barrel. Worked the trigger some. The gun went from 2" down to around 3/4" it works ok for tree rats. LOL Good luck with you rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.