Ruger #1

joekidd

I have a Ruger 1 in a 45/70 and was wondering if it's worth making into a 300 RUM ? Would I be better off with a bolt? , what are the trade offs, is it much more costly? I have some custom Rem's that I really enjoy , but I also love my single shots. Last season I left the bolts home and took only my 45/70's and had fun and took 3 deer with my browning 1885 at 60, 95, and 162 yards with iron sights ! So can anyone help me out with info or a gunsmith that could tell me if this would be a worthy and cost effective project. thanks...

Last edited:
Joe, some pros and cons on the #1. It would cost more for a rebarrel on a #1 than for a Rem 700. The extra work would be setting the headspace and breechblock clearance and marking the extractor/ejector cut and then setting up and milling the cut and making the barrel back up again. Then custom fitting a scope base to the barrel and drilling and tapping the barrel for it. And finally, making and installing a barrel band sling swivel. The action is tedious (slow) to reassemble and unpredictable for accuracy.

A very large plus is having a 30" barrel in a handy overall length and bullet proof reliability.

They are very nice actions to build on, but I wouldn't recommend chambering one with anything bigger than a std. mag case head.

Since you really like single shots, it's probably worth doing, but for sub 1/2 moa, I recommend a bolt gun.

Good luck with whatever you decide on. Remember, these are just my opinions. Tom

Last edited:
Thanks Tom for the info , It gives me some things to think about. I might have to build it into something else other than a long range hunter, because I have 3 45/70's thanks again JOE...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.