Ruger #1 "COMPETENT" gunsmith needed.

STEEL SLINGER

Hello everyone. I have a Ruger #1 that I want to have re-barreled to another caliber and accurized. I know the #1's have accuracy issues and there are many ways to combat and correct the various problems. . .I just do not what is the best or "CORRECT" method. I would like to know of any smiths that you all have used that can be referred to me that either specialize or are competent in doing the complete job. Thank you.

PacNor of Brookings Oregon will rebarrel the Number 1, and their barrels have been pretty good to me in bolt guns. My No.1 is still on its original barrel, the factory trigger is "okay", but I did add a Hicks Accurizer. The gun runs a bit over 1 MOA, with Berger VLDs out of the 7rem mag case. I don't use it for really long shooting, having a couple built for the purpose bolt guns, but if I was to get serious with it, it would go to PacNor first, then to EABCO for their speed hammer and trigger upgrade.

Thank you for the reply 7Mag. I have read several things about E.A. Brown. . .and there isn't any gray. It is either good or awful, so I'm not to sure about them. I have googled my fingers off, but can't really find a gunsmith that is knowledgeable with the #1's. If anyone knows of one worthy of the task, PLEASE. . .let me know. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply 7Mag. I have read several things about E.A. Brown. . .and there isn't any gray. It is either good or awful, so I'm not to sure about them. I have googled my fingers off, but can't really find a gunsmith that is knowledgeable with the #1's. If anyone knows of one worthy of the task, PLEASE. . .let me know. Thanks.

If this helps, they rebarreled a savage 111 for me with one of their "accuracy" barrels in 6.5/284, put a JP brake on it and a RifleBasix SAV2 trigger. A local smith stocked the barreled action for me, and the gun shoots like crazy. Cold fouled bore off a backpack prone at 638 yards, dead on, with two follow-ups, all under 1 MOA. That is the longest target at my club, but we are currently under construction to stretch out past half a mile, and I have no reason to doubt she'll go that far just as well.

cprifles.com you can search some old threads here, have not used him but have talked with John
regarding the same items you want

cprifles.com you can search some old threads here, have not used him but have talked with John
regarding the same items you want
These guys seem up on their game regarding single shot rifle work, especially the Stevens 44 1/2 models. I will touch base with them and see if they are willing to work on #1's.

Justin Sip Custom Guns, Inc.: Welcome He does a lot of work on Ruger #1's
This guy builds a handsome looking rifle, but in his Home Page he states he "does some gunsmithing". . .I wonder what this means? I will have to talk with him to find out if he is just a "Plastic Surgeon" or a real "MD of Internal Medician" type of gunsmith. The Ruger #1 is handsome enough, I just want a shooter! ! ! I did see where it mentions of another company he worked with, Virgin Valley Gunworks. . .I will have to check them out.

Thank you for the replies, fellas. Any other smiths come to mind please post them up. Thanks.

Terry Miller in Twin Falls Idaho. Builds his own version of the Hicks and can make the #1 shoot bug holes if the barrel is up to it. Extreme experience with the #1 and #3. He will also install Pac Nors if you wish. One man shop that has a great reputation. He does no advertising and is 3 months out. Full Machine shop and builds everything for his work right there. Very reasonable on his prices. Case in example, his muzzle brake that he build himself. $125 installed.

These guys seem up on their game regarding single shot rifle work, especially the Stevens 44 1/2 models. I will touch base with them and see if they are willing to work on #1's.

This guy builds a handsome looking rifle, but in his Home Page he states he "does some gunsmithing". . .I wonder what this means? I will have to talk with him to find out if he is just a "Plastic Surgeon" or a real "MD of Internal Medician" type of gunsmith. The Ruger #1 is handsome enough, I just want a shooter! ! ! I did see where it mentions of another company he worked with, Virgin Valley Gunworks. . .I will have to check them out.

Thank you for the replies, fellas. Any other smiths come to mind please post them up. Thanks.

Justin does a lot of "gunsmithing" - even up to building his own actions - he does not like to advertise "gunsmithing" as his main work, he sees gunsmithing as different than building custom rifles! He builds complete customs, from 100% barrel work too action and trigger work. As you can see he specializes in wood work, but also does synthetics. All of the rifles he has built for me are sub-moa rifles, even my 416 Rigby. Give him a call you will not be disappointed!

Terry Miller in Twin Falls Idaho. Builds his own version of the Hicks and can make the #1 shoot bug holes if the barrel is up to it. Extreme experience with the #1 and #3. He will also install Pac Nors if you wish. One man shop that has a great reputation. He does no advertising and is 3 months out. Full Machine shop and builds everything for his work right there. Very reasonable on his prices. Case in example, his muzzle brake that he build himself. $125 installed.

Do you have any contact info for Mr. Miller? He sounds promissing!

Justin does a lot of "gunsmithing" - even up to building his own actions - he does not like to advertise "gunsmithing" as his main work, he sees gunsmithing as different than building custom rifles! He builds complete customs, from 100% barrel work too action and trigger work. As you can see he specializes in wood work, but also does synthetics. All of the rifles he has built for me are sub-moa rifles, even my 416 Rigby. Give him a call you will not be disappointed!

Thank you for clearing that up for me. . .I wasn't going to write him off, I just want someone that actually knows how to make a gun shoot and from what you've told me, he can. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.