Round Steaks

I cut as much as possible including the hams and a lot of the shoulder into steaks, and grind the rest.. I never had problem with toughness after learning that elk must be hung for at least 10 days. My elk are skinned as soon as possible. by that I mean if I am packing out, on the ground at the sight of the kill. If it is possible to load it up, then as soon as I get it to the cooler or the beam depending on the temperature. I carry 4 game bags suitable for a quartered elk in my pack to protect the meat when transporting a skinned animals. How you care for the meat will determine the quality of your meat. One last thought, with the exception of the rib cage, the pelvic, and neck, a saw never touches my meat. The pan fried steaks with cream gravy is a show stopper at our house.

As always, I hate eating round steaks. They are suited for dog food. I tried everything to tender them up. Sitting in milk for a week. Sitting in olive oil for a week. Pounding them with a hammer.

I think next elk, I will just grind them into burger. Not much else you can do with them...

Anyone have any luck with round steaks ?
I cut my venison ( Deer ) round steaks about 3/4" to 1" thick , across the grain of the muscle , and then run them through my hand-cranked meat tenderizer that I got from Cabelas .
I run the steak through the tenderizer 2 times , on the second pass through , I turn the meat 90 degrees to the original cut direction , and then drop it in and crank it through the tenderizer blades .
Cooking it by chicken-frying , it is so tender that you can cut it with your fork .

Try a marinade and then grill to medium:
Mix together
- 3TBS olive oil
- 3TBS red wine vinegar
- 2 TBS dijon mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp each hot pepper flakes, salt & pepper
Cut meat into 2" or so chunks for kabobs and marinate for at least 2 hours
Thread onto skewers, grill about 4-6 minutes/side
Grill some peppers, zucchini or thick sliced onions or tomato to serve with meat

Elk rounds steak cut at 1/2-3/4 in steaks then run through tenderizer. They need to be thin. I use to grind all the rounds until I found this way and love them now. Only way way I will keep round steaks otherwise bring them into burger.

Any wild game streaks you have to cut thinner than beef. They will be the most tender cook around medium, (slight pink inside). Thick game steaks are too hard to cook properly and end up too tough.

I throw my tougher cuts into a bag with seasoning and sous vide them. That method has turned even some of the most shoe leather cuts tender. It isn't magic and you aren't going top turn rubber into tenderloin but it can make vast improvements. Let it run to your desired temp for an extended time and then drag across the grill for a quick sear.

I throw my tougher cuts into a bag with seasoning and sous vide them. That method has turned even some of the most shoe leather cuts tender. It isn't magic and you aren't going top turn rubber into tenderloin but it can make vast improvements. Let it run to your desired temp for an extended time and then drag across the grill for a quick sear.
I have been thinking about buying one of these I believe you just cost me some money :):)

Cut into bite sized pieces, wrapped in bacon, and slow cooked in a sousvide (followed by a pan sear for color, if you prefer) has produced great results for me. Makes a great appetizer.

Anything you can do to add acid or enzymes will allow for more tender cuts. Pressure cooking will break down connective tissue. I love to make elk osso bucco from the shanks. cut into 2 inch slices and into the instapot for an hour at pressure and comes out fork tender. using wine as an acid to help break down the connective tissue and keeps in moisture...

A lot of good ideas.
Yes there are
I either make jerky or save em as a roast,
In fact I whole muscle most of my cuts.
I get the hide off em as fast as I can and they are in the freezer as soon as rigor is gone
Any steaks I do cut are at least an inch thick, I grill and offset light smoke most of my cuts

We pressure canned a bunch of lesser elk and deer cuts this fall. I'd always wanted to do it, and the GF was raised on it. So a little investment, a few u-tubes, and having her aunt visit for actual in-person teaching we got a ton of meat canned. After you're done no refrigeration or freezer space needed. Just cool little jars full of meat up on shelves. We actually just opened our first can yesterday for taco's. To the end of my day's now I will always pressure can everything that's not the top cuts. All the silver skin just dissolves you don't have to mess with it, just cubed and stuff in jars. Screw burger LOL-WW