Rock Creek vs. Hart vs. lilja

I'll throw in a huge vote for Satern barrels.

Steve will cut any twist you want down to the .25 inch. Excellent turnaround and superb customer service.

I've shot several in .224, .308 and .338 calibers.

All shot very well, no stinkers make it past his final cut.

I am having this same dilemma. Which top end barrel maker does a better job at prefit or drop in barrels?

The reason I ask is, I want try my hand at building a custom rifle, but lack access to certain machinery to do this from scratch. Who knows I may get started on it and decide I'm in way over my head and let a gunsmith finish the build, but I won't know until I try.

If you want to lessen the debacle you have described, buy one with a factory chambering and tell nobody even if they ask. after you realize your transgression contact a competent gunsmith and tell him how sorry you are (so he might have a soft spot for you). and fit the barrel correctly.
UB

If you get a top end barrel from any of the makers already listed, on average, the machining to fit the barrel, the chamber quality, the receiver trueness and the bedding quality will make a bigger difference in accuracy then the brand of barrel on the rifle.

Simply put, get a good barrel and then its on your smith to make a rifle that shoots. The barrels most often will. That said, I have seen samples from nearly every maker listed that had problems but they are pretty rare with the top makers.

Take your pick to be honest.

Man that is the truth... You are TRULY AT THE MERCY OF YOUR SMITH. I agree that it is MUCH MORE dependent on your gunsmith, so much more...

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.