Lilja Vs Shilen

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by One Shot, Jan 5, 2004.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. One Shot

One Shot Member

Hi, Could any of you help me out a little ?
    I have a Remington 700BDL SA (.308W) That I wish to turn into a long range shooting/ hunting rifle.
    I have Choate ultimate sniper stock (I know a lot of people think this is a crapy stock, but it fits me good)
    I have just purchased a Nightforce NXS 5,5-22 x 56. And now I want to buy a new barrel.

I'm not sure what to choose Lilja or Shilen. Anybody got 1st or 2nd hand information about theese two ?

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Official LRH Sponsor

why only those 2?

for buton rifled id take lilja or hart--for cut rifled then kreiger.

You really cant go wrong with either though.

JB

3. One Shot

One Shot Member

Will either of them give less cleaning than the other ?

4. Brent

Brent Well-Known Member

Never have used a Shilen. The Lilja I have here is sweet. It never did copper foul but just a little, and quit copper fouling at around 40 rounds and 5-7 cleanings as I remember. I haven't cleaned it in 40-60 rounds or something like that since.

I watched a guy break in his Shilin at the range a couple years ago, clean and shoot, clean and shoot each shot. He was putting them on top of each other *Rule 4 Violation* near (under .5 MOA easily) every shot, this was all while shooting 375 H&H ammo to fire form in his 375 Weatherby chamber too!

Michael,
    Homer did that rifle there. [​IMG]

5. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Well-Known Member

You are talking Chevy vs Ford here.

You will get a very good barrel from either!!

Cannot go wrong with Hart, Spencer, Lilja, Shilen, Border, Krieger, for LR guns.

BH

6. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

Hey oneshot..
    send it to Chris M. and put on a Mike Rock Barrel you'll squeeze some extra FPS compared to other barrels.. I get 26" barrel perfomance from a 24" barrel....

7. One Shot

One Shot Member

It will be a lot of papir work sending my rifle to the US. So my plan was buying a barrel and then get a Norwegian gunsmith to install.

8. *WyoWhisper*

*WyoWhisper* Guest

ya know..I didn't notice you were from Norway.. your right.. tons of paper work.. [​IMG]

9. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

i have shot both and like both alot-as stated u really cant go wrong with either-my-2-dave

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I had one Shilen tube chambered in 300Wby , it shot great but went away fast!!! Shilen uses 8 lands and grooves and I believe that they use softer steel.
    I have a Lilja , Hart , Pac-nor and had a Shilen , all four guns shot just as well as the other , the Pac-nor and Lilja seem to be either a little harder steel or the three groove barrels just last longer cause they show less throat wear.
    Personaly all my barrels are going to be Pac-Nors from now on , you just can't beat their price.

11. 4mesh063

4mesh063 Well-Known Member

I can't speak for how fast they go away but I have a Shillen that I like a lot so far. I really can't immagine any brand name barrel being a bad investment. I'd place more blame on the owner than on the barrel for it's performance.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One Shot,

Have you been in contact with Lars Nygard at Vaabenhuset Nygard?

JR

13. Hall

Hall New Member

Why do you want a barrel made of 416R. While the 17-4 steel is the most corrosion resistant on the market and have shown3X extension in throat life and top accuracy.
    It is probably easier to buy a Lothar Walther barrel in Norway than US made and for long term you will probably get a barrel that will give you accuracy for longer period of time!!! [​IMG]

14. sig man

sig man Member

DU! her og!! [​IMG]