RL26 in 280AI

Trentcamp

Hit the jackpot this evening. Went by the local Cabelas and found a couple pounds of RL26 and a box of Nosler brass. My question is where do I start. I've looked for data but no luck. I know several on here have sang its attributes in the 280AI. Just looking for a place to start. Loading for a Factory Kimber with 24" barrel, going to be shooting Hornady 154 gr SST and Interbond. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Sorry can't help you with the load data buddy, but it's nice to see another fellow West Virginian! gun)

My gun shoots great with 59 grains RL26 with 160 Nosler AB. 2950 FPS. That is max in mine. Work up accordingly. 25" pipe.

For the 168 Berger VLD in my 280ai SAAMI

Nosler brass
Fed 215 primers
60.5 grains RL 26 (is max)
2950 fps
24" barrel

I shoot it at 60.0 grains however.

I know that wasn't the bullet/weight you were looking for, but it's just a reference point.

Yeah not the combination I'm shooting but any reference is good. All help is appreciated fellows. Keep it coming. From what I'm seeing I should be able to start at about 58 grains and work up. You guys are shooting 60 with a 160-168, so I should be safe with a 154 there.

I'm getting ready to start load development with that powder in my 280 AI. I'll be shooting a 26 krieger and running the 150gn ABLR. if I dont like what I see, I'll give the 162 ELDX a run.

I just finished loading some this evening. I started with 58gns of R26 and worked up to 61gns in half grn increments. I'm looking for 3100 FPS but that will depend on where I hit pressure. Quickloads indicate I should be a full gn under max. I will keep a close eye on the crony and look for pressure.

Hope they fly well for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.