RL22 or RL26 for 300wm?

smokin502

Using RL22 in my 300wm but was wondering if I could get higher fps with RL26 with same pressures and weights? Don't have any RL26 to test yet. Trying 7828ssc but seems to take more powder to match the fps of RL22. Any thoughts?

I would also try H1000. All I use in my 300 Win Mag with 215 Bergers. Good velocity and ES. Temp stable as well.

RL-26 is fast. Faster than anything else at the same pressure. My 300WM is going very very fast with it under a 168 Nosler CC.

7828 was made for belted magnums and SSC if more powder is needed.

If you go with heavies, H1000 should be a fine choice. I have not had the same success as others. I still keep 8lb around because it when it works it will be for a big magnum that would not get 100 rounds out of

I agree with seaman. H1000 is my powder for 300 WM. My 2nd choice is IMR4831. Retumbo is OK but I get more consistent loads with H1000. Just bought a Browning Hell Canyon LR in 300WM & H1000 & IMR 4831 will probably be the only 2 I will use to work up loads with the Hornady 212 ELD-X.
IMR has a new 8133 powder but I have'nt seen any in the stores yet.
Thanks, Kirk

I use RL26 with the 212gn ELD-X in my .300WinMag and it's the fastest I have seen.

I started testing it last spring/summer and ran it HOT! Hot enough to blow primers and eventually broke the ejector in my Savage 112 BVSS.

After testing I came back down and settled on 74gns with CCI's BR2. This combo runs just a hair over 3000fps and drills 1/4 MOA groups.

During my testing I did get up to "RUM velocities" with accuracy but it was tooo much of a good thing! I did not notice any "spikes" during the summer heat and have not tested it during the colder months. I have also tried Retumbo and H1000 and while both shoot good in this rifle, I'll stick with RL26 for now. JohnnyK.

I have loads with H1000, Retumbo and RE25 that are very accurate, RE25 being the fastest of all 3. If what they say about RE26 being the same burn rate as RE25, then I would think it will surprise you.
In my Kimber, in a 26" barrel, I can easily get 3200fps with a 180gr AB, and with 200gr AB I get just a tad over 3000fps.
These are max loads though and not what I regularly use or shoot. Pressures have been very mild according to my pressure trace.

Cheers.
:)

New poster, long time lurker. I felt compelled to comment on the above.

I have heard many say, including Alliant, that RL-26 has a burn rate generally similar to RL-25. I have been working with this powder for a couple of years now in a .243 AI, .260 AI and a 6.5-284 Norma. It does produce impressive velocity but it is definitely faster in burn rate than RL-25 - much closer to RL-22, in fact. It builds pressure differently and seems to be very well-suited for use in large capacity cases, but it is absolutely not in the same burn rate neighborhood as RL-25.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of trying it - quite the contrary! It's great stuff and it often allows one to shoot comfortably (pressure) with great accuracy at higher nodes. I offer this information as a counter to some of the speculation I've seen repeated many times, in the interest of safety. Quite a few folks load .243 AIs with H-1000 and 105 gr. and heavier bullets. H-1000 will fill the case and then some in this application. If one were to believe some of the information I've seen regarding RL-26 and take a similar approach with load development, I suspect a mallet would be required to open the bolt.

Cheers.

All good info. I've been waiting to get some RL26 but haven't yet. Been testing IMR 7828ssc and getting good results. Using 225 eld match with 72.5 g and hitting 2870fps. Not sure if I should try it or just be happy with what I got.