RL19 Powder consistency

7mmSendaro

I have finally found a combination that works great in my 7mm Rem Mag Sendaro using RL19 Powder and 168 Bergers. In some other threads I have seen reference to inconsistency with Reloader powders. Can anyone give me details,if any, on problems encountered with Alliant Powder? I just want to know what to look out for. This load shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards of .390!

Basically they seem to have a rep lately for being hotter or colder than the last lot that people buy. If I was you and had a magic load I'd take that lot number back to where you got the powder and pick up another 2#'s. If not you'll have to adjust your load via chrono and hope the same speed gives the same accuracy when you get a different lot number.

Unfortunately, the Gander Mountain whewre I bought the powder now has a new lot number. I am going to call around to some other local gun shops and hope someone else has the same lot. It was an 2005 lot, so I'm not very optimistic. Thanks,

Buy 10# from the same lot number and adjust the load to reach same speed with a chronograph. Take a few loaded with your current load to run as a control group on the same day you test. Don't worry, it will work quite nicely. I did the exact same thing with RL22 and there actually was not much, if any, difference in lot numbers run almost a year apart.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. It has been kind of a long road to find this load. RL19 certainly didn't seem like the most likely powder, but it works great in my rifle.

I hit upon a load with RL-19 in our 7 mag Sendero and the 162gr Hornady BTSP's. They initially shot into 1" groups at 300yds. I am pretty sure they still would if I had the time to get out and shoot as much now as I had time for then.

I need to get the thing back together and work up a slightly milder load for it. THe one I had was great as long as temps were mid 70's and down. Over that they got a little wiggy from time to time.

The load I worked up was 66.0 grains of RL19 with 168 grain Berger VLDs seated .002 off the lands. I used CCI Mag primers. I have only tested this up to about 35 degrees so I'm not usre what it will do when the weather warms up. As usual, these are results with my rifle so start much lower and work your way up watching for pressure signs. My 5 shot hundred yard group was .390.

Watch out on the temps. As the temperatures climb, so will the pressure especially with the bullet just on the lands. I work up loads in the maximum temperature range in which I may shoot, which here is in the 90 - 100 range. When the temp drops, everything is still good.

56.5 gr of imr4350 with berger 190 vld's gives me .5 moa consistantly out of remington 700, 300 saum... just sharing.

As far as RL-19 is concerned and this is true with any powder, as long as your load is not boarding the max that your rifle will withstand with a given charge and it is an optimal charge weight, you may never see a difference from one lot of powder to the next. However, if the load is not an optimal charge you should expect that there will be a difference from one lot to the next. The best advice you received was to purchase a bulk "8 lbs" of powder or more and check the load with the new lot to confirm and adjust it if need be. The "optimal charge" will be a charge that even if the weight were to change by +/- 2/10ths of a grain, the POI would not be effected. By concentrating on a OCW, I was able to come up with three loads in my 7MM using RL-19, RL-22, & IMR4831 once I found the harmonic velocity "sweet spot" that rifle liked. This can be done in any rifle if one wants to spend the time.

On another note and I don't mean to be a killjoy!

IMO FWIW, load data from one rifle usually never translates to another. Even if the rifles were made in consecutive order. Accuracy is dependent on harmonics timing and barrel wip among other factors. The chances of two rifles having the very same stocks, bedding, scope & rings, timing can be altered greatly by how the stock is torked as well as other accessories. Climate and altitude also makes a big difference. As long as you have data from a reliable source with documented min & max charges to start with, that is what you should be working with and nothing else. Not saying it is impossible but highly unlikely.

If one is only asking what another reloader is using to compare against what they find to work in their firearm, that is on thing. But if someone is asking so they can try it in their own firearm, I highly recommend they change their reloading practices and put safety as their primary concern before anything else.

I only say this because I've seen what happens first hand when you don't and it was a real eye opener!

Sorry.

Man, I love that feeling when you find "The Load" for a rifle. Especially when it has been a battle!

I have about 25 different powders in my reloading cabinet for fighting these battles. For high power rifle, Alliant RL19 and RL22 are my favorites and can cover the majority of the rifles I reload for. I reload for everything in my safe, and about eight other buddies and everything they have in their safes.

They can keep me busy with new rifles and calibers and I really enjoy the challenge of finding "The Load" for a new rig. Plus, I get to have the fun of shooting a new rifle that I did not have to pay for.

Anyway, over several years of reloading for alot of different calibers and rifles, these two powders have won the load development battle more than any other powders. They are very consistent and forgiving, giving max velocity and tight *** groups at long range.

You are now ready to smoke some big game with your 7mag! God Speed....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.