Rl19, h4831sc, imr7828

Weldsheriff

Little help! Guys, I done some extensive testing in a new 300WSM. I tested many powders and found these three to produce sub 1 moa goups at 100 yards in 5 shot groups. My best combos on adverage were:

RL19 - 67g - 3000fps
H4831SC - 64g - 2850fps
IMR 7828 - 66g - 2800fps

My problem is Im loading and shooting now at 70 - 80 deg F. I will be hunting in -10 to 50 deg F. I need a temp stable powder. I see little difference in groups at my current temp and 200 fps difference between. What powder do I choose?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think your H4831SC is going to be the most temp stable. Do up some more test loads and literally put them on ice. At least you'll know for sure.

h4831 is produced by ADI for Hodgdon, ADI powders are very temperature stable so your point of impact should not alter.
I use[ADI] ar2213sc the quivilant to h4831sc in my reloads for my 270 here in new zealand I do my range work in the warm time of the year but hunt in a lot colder conditions in the roar for deer or tahr in the southern alps with no problems
not that there is anything wrong with rl19 or imr7828 in fact I am going to put rl19 to the test in my 8x68s cal rifle I normaly use ar2209 witch is very stable in all weather conditions so it will be intresting to see what it preforms like in the colder conditions at a much higher altertude where I do alot of my hunting as apposed to where I live and do my range work at about 30 to 50 feet above sea level.

I love the velocities I get from RL19 in my 6.5x57AI, but I have also used H4831 (not SC) and IMR4350, with good results. One thing I notice with the RL19 is more carbon build up than with the other 2. Cleaning is easiest with the H4350, and I get more rounds down the barrel before cleaning is mandatory. (for accuracy)

I use H4831sc in my 300wsm for heavy bullets and it seems quite stable to me. I have also started using Superformance and it also seems fairly stable, I didnt think so at first but have since discovered my problems were elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.