RL 26

No.
There are MANY threads here and other forums that show it shoots up pressure dramatically at ~85F
-----------------------------------
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/h-1000-r-26-temperature-testing.3943044/
Rtheurer said:
I have burned up 24lbs of R26 since it has been released here in the USA from Nitrochemie via Alliant. I have shot it in my 6SLR primarily and more recently the 6.5X284. Both I have been able to get Excellent accuracy and as always noted higher velocity. not saying I know all... but I have noticed a huge trend that once R26 gets to that 90* area it can go bat **** crazy with pressure. A perfectly safe and accurate load that shoots lights out at 30* to 80* can blow primers at 90*. Using the upper node of accuracy and getting up in that 60,000 PSI pressure has proven to me that its not that stable at the upper limit. Below that.. No problems. In fact I have reduced to the next node down which shot just as well just a little slower ( but still fast) and those erratic pressure spikes have gone away.
Again this is just the trend I have witnessed and I encourage you to do your own testing. Best of luck and good shooting.
Russel

I found the EXACT same thing. I had a killer 243/115 DTAC load that was high velocity/low ES & SD and took it to a Precision Rifle Class where temps got to mid 90s. Blowing primers left & right where before had no pressure signs. Had to resort to storing ammo in a cooler on ice to get through the class.

That's where I made the decision to never chase velocity again & stick with a nice stable load through multiple temps

Mike402, Jan 19, 2018

The general consensus seems to be that the newer powders in the Reloder series are less temperature sensitive than the older ones, but still somewhat more sensitive than some other powders - especially at the upper end of the safe pressure range. Since this is where it really matters, this is good to know.

Years ago, when Hodgdon first started selling their Extreme line of powders ( and the short-cut powder kernels ) I was working with RL19 in the 30-06. I got good accuracy, as well as good velocity, but when it got hot outside, it got pretty erratic. The pressure spikes were kinda spooky. My buddy showed me some test data from an independent lab, and it told the story. He had this data ( which he got from Hodgdon ) because he was using RL22 in his 30-06, and had seen the same thing I was seeing on hot days. Well, he just backed off on the powder charge, and kept using the RL22, because velocity was still better than with other powders - and accuracy was phenomenal. I switched to H-4350, and never looked back - excellent accuracy, very good velocity, and no more worries about having a problem on an early-season antelope hunt.

Now I'm working with a new rifle, in .280 Remington. Same basic cartridges case; smaller hole in the end. I think this may lead me into powders that are slower-burning than my favorite H-4350, but I'm still going to try that one first. I'm thinking H-4831, or maybe even H-1000. ( I'm using the Hornady 139-grain GMX.) If I go to a heavier bullet, the slower powders will almost certainly come into their own over the 4350 burning rate. It will just be a matter of whether or not I can get enough of it into the case. Any comments for me ????

The general consensus seems to be that the newer powders in the Reloder series are less temperature sensitive than the older ones, but still somewhat more sensitive than some other powders - especially at the upper end of the safe pressure range. Since this is where it really matters, this is good to know.

Years ago, when Hodgdon first started selling their Extreme line of powders ( and the short-cut powder kernels ) I was working with RL19 in the 30-06. I got good accuracy, as Any comments for me ????
H4350 & H1000 are as good as it get for the widest range of temps, especially on the higher end. All powders will have some change but I want the change to be linear throughout the temp range.

Ok - I digress. It is stable up to 85 degrees. ooooo
I shoot in Florida at 95+ degrees and RE23/16 are stable. Shoot what you want but I have actually used them with zero issues. Heck, I had issues in the heat with varget. I also shoot max loads of RE17 in 95+ with no issues.

Just curious what cartridges everyone has found rl 26 to be good in. I am going to start working up a 260, 284, 30-06, 300 win mag, 340 wby, and 7wsm very soon and currently have h1000, h4350, rl16, and a few others on the shelf already. I may snag some rl23 and 26 if I can find any. rl 26 seems like it works really well in 284 and maybe in 30-06 and 260.
I have shot about 4 lbs of R26 in a Bergara 7mm RM. Dialed in a dozen bullets different bullets in this rifle so far, and R26 is the velocity and accuracy king using 10 bullet/weights and H-1000 is more accurate with two others. I have had no problems shooting thru one hot summer here in Texas except with cooling the barrel.

For me RL26 has been outstanding - of note is the fact that for south central Alaska 85 degrees is something that does not happen! In addition since I am a mountain hunter the 85 degree qualifier is also not a player. Currently am using RL 26 in a 7mmWSM with 150 gr Hammers at 3350 FPS for a single ragged 5 shot hole. A new 7mm Sherman Short in a 21" barrel is pushing a 175 gr ELD-X at 2900 FPS and a 0.045 sized hole for 3 shots - this is a new rifle and doubt an optimal load has been determined. My 6.5 x 284 in a Cooper Backcountry shoots 139 Hammers into a ragged 5 shot hole at 3100 FPS. Fortunately I am well supplied with RL 26 and am looking forward to seeing what it will do with some of my other rifles!

7mm Sherman Short in a 21" barrel is pushing a 175 gr ELD-X at 2900 FPS and a 0.045 sized hole for 3 shots -
That's a pretty small hole for a 7mm LOL
Yes, I have great results in several rifles, especially magic in the .243 and 7mm RUM but I can't shoot them in our summers here.

Currently loading in 6.5x284, 264WM, 280AI, 280 Rem.....will be testing in 25-06 and 300 Wby soon.
Curious how it works in the 264 win mag? I want to try to load some but can't seem to find any load data. Would you share what your loads are? I'll be using the berger 140 vld and 142gr long range accubond

Curious how it works in the 264 win mag? I want to try to load some but can't seem to find any load data. Would you share what your loads are? I'll be using the berger 140 vld and 142gr long range accubond
I'm loading 68 grains of RL 26, .020 off lands with 121 Heavy Hammer Bullets for 3240 fps from a 9 twist, 24" bbl....for .5" groups. I have not tried it with heavier bullets since I already have a load for 140 VLDs.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.