RL-22 vs RL-23 how close by volume

LongWalker

Looking at some load data for 280 AI and the 150gr ELD-X and there's data for RL-22 but not RL-23. I know RL-23 is basically a temp stable version of 22 but I wonder if anyone has done a side by side comparison with a 22 load that switched to 23. Running RL-23 behind the Berger 175 EH and it's a great load so if I can use it for the 150 ELD-X I'd be very pleased.

Some loads will use slightly more 23 than 22, other use slightly less-- kinda strange, but it is what it is. Do a ladder and use the low book data for 22 but use 23 and work up and you'll find your max when you see pressure signs.

In two different Schultz and Larsen 25-06 rifles both with Sierra 100gr GKs I found velocity was higher with Rel 22 than Rel 23. Primers started to flatten at 54 grains of Rel 23 but at 57 grains of Rel 22 the primers still looked normal. I see in the latest Hornady manual they show a max load of 57.2 gr of Rel 23 and 58.7 gr of Rel 22 with their 100 grain InterLock. The results in both rifles basically mirrored each other.

Looking at some load data for 280 AI and the 150gr ELD-X and there's data for RL-22 but not RL-23. I know RL-23 is basically a temp stable version of 22 but I wonder if anyone has done a side by side comparison with a 22 load that switched to 23. Running RL-23 behind the Berger 175 EH and it's a great load so if I can use it for the 150 ELD-X I'd be very pleased.
Hi i'm Niko
I Just had the chance ti switch from 22 to 23....i was shooting same berger 175 gn whit 72 gn rl 22 in fall time ( about 5 degrees Celsius..having a group at 100meters of less than 5/8 but as the temperature dropped. At minus 12 C group was spreading at 1.4".. So switched to rl 23 finding my load about .5 gn more. To have same good results (1/2" same distance).. Looks like with the rl 23 u need to add some little powder more.. Is a good powder as the 22 but very stable at different temperature.. Go ahead and work it out.( start from same as u leave the 22 and work up) Ps u can even use the same load whit nosler custom comp. Bthp 175gn...

Last edited:
Hi i'm Niko
I Just had the chance ti switch from 22 to 23....i was shooting same berger 175 gn whit 72 gn rl 22 in fall time ( about 5 degrees Celsius..having a group at 100meters of less than 5/8 but as the temperature dropped. At minus 12 C group was spreading at 1.4".. So switched to rl 23 finding my load about .5 gn more. To have same good results (1/2" same distance).. Looks like with the rl 23 u need to add some little powder more.. Is a good powder as the 22 but very stable at different temperature.. Go ahead and work it out.( start from same as u leave the 22 and work up) Ps u can even use the same load whit nosler custom comp. Bthp 175gn...

....ps I forgot to mention ..300 win mag 1/10 twist 26" barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts