RL-16 recipes

Havard

Picked up a little 16 and thought I’d see what my options are. I have looked through several manuals and see there is some versatility with this; I’m loading for a 25-06, 6.5 CM, 270win, 270WSM, and 308. If you have had luck with 16 in those mentioned calibers, please share if you will!
And yes, I know Retumbo works well in a 6.5x284, as well as 4350 is good for 6.5 CM, and 308 loves Varget like I love Cheeseburgers, but I was hoping to keep it allll about RL-16; please! :)

Last edited:

LongWalker

Running RL-16 in my target and hunting 6.5 CMs. Hitting 2820 with the Hornady 140 ELD-M out of a 24" tube and 2845 with the 140 Berger elite hunter out of a 22" tube. That latter load is a little hot with a sticky bolt lift but it's too accurate to back off.

The 140 ELD-M is in Lapua brass and the 140 Berger is in Starline brass

Jammer65

That is quite hot for a 22" barrel. You can almost certainly find another node at a more sane pressure that is at least as accurate. That will also let your brass last much longer too.

LongWalker

That is quite hot for a 22" barrel. You can almost certainly find another node at a more sane pressure that is at least as accurate. That will also let your brass last much longer too.
I'm actually at 43.6 gr which is the published max by Alliant for the 140 hybrid that they have at 2821 out of a 24" barrel. On my 5th firing with the Starline brass and neck sized only until the 4th firing when I bumped the shoulder. No other pressure signs and the bolt isn't sticky on every round. I was surprised too when I looked at the magnetospeed and I've verified dope out to 500.

I've got about 100 of that load down the barrel and it keeps shooting lights out.

Mike AVM

I shoot 43.3 RE16 with Hornady 143 ELD right at 2800 in a 24" tube. 43.0 shoots almost as well. Start at 41 and work up.

25WSM

I'm on my 3rd 6.5cm barrel and all 3 of them shoot better with h4350. My first barrel hated rl16. Last 2 shot ok with it but definatly prefer h4350 and h4831. Shep

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce