.300 RUM 210VLD RL 25 Recipes?

indiansumer

Looking for load data for a .300 RUM using Berger 210 VLD's & RL25. Using a Remington 700 AWR with 26 inch barrel for long range hunting, mostly elk. Also.....anyone think I might do better with a different powder? I see lots of guys are using Retumbo.

Looking for load data for a .300 RUM using Berger 210 VLD's & RL25. Using a Remington 700 AWR with 26 inch barrel for long range hunting, mostly elk. Also.....anyone think I might do better with a different powder? I see lots of guys are using Retumbo.

I thought about going the RL25 route, I tried H1000 with great accuracy, but got better velocity and accuracy with Retumbo. Using a Borden action and Hart barrel with a 340 neck, I am shooting 210 Berg VLDs with 94.5 grs of Retumbo and getting .3 MOA out to 275 yds (just got this rifle in late November, so I am still working on stretching her legs out). Please dont try this load without working up to it - I mention what I am shooting to make sure you understand I am shooting this in a custom rig, your factory stick might be more finicky, and from everything I have read 94 to 94.5 grs is MAX for this bullet. I have read that the RL25 is more temp sensitive, and since I am doing the same thing you are i.e. loading for elk, probably in a different climate than here in N TX, I thought the best route was to go Retumbo. It works very well in my 6.5 WSM too, and in general seems a good (slow) powder for overbore cartridges ala 300 RUM, 7mm RUM, 6.5 WSM, etc H-1000 is a bit faster and is my choice for the 180-190 gr bullets in the 300rum.

Just my .02 for now, PM me if you need any other info - if I can help out any I will.
EZ

Anyone tried RL25 with the 210's in the 300RUM?

Like I said....I see plenty of feedback from those who've worked with other powders. I'd really like to get some input from someone who has tried the RL25. I will be giving the Retumbo a try though since it seems so popular. Thanks

I really like Re25 in my 300 RUM. I prefer the 200 AB's and I'm getting around 3280 fps with 92.5gr. (28" barrel). Load is fine in normal hunting temps, but I have flattened primers and loosened the pocket when shooting the same load in 90 degree temps, so beware!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.