Ring quality

bstomper

Can someone please explain to me why some scope rings are so expensive. I realize that there may be some differences in quality but how much. I just purchased some rings to mount a scope on my 1022. I paid $15 for them. While searching scope rings on the Internet today I came across some leupold PRW mounting system rings for $90. They look exactly identical to the ones I bought for $15 off eBay. What makes them worth $75 more. Can they really be that much better.

Can someone please explain to me why some scope rings are so expensive. I realize that there may be some differences in quality but how much. I just purchased some rings to mount a scope on my 1022. I paid $15 for them. While searching scope rings on the Internet today I came across some leupold PRW mounting system rings for $90. They look exactly identical to the ones I bought for $15 off eBay. What makes them worth $75 more. Can they really be that much better.

Some companies go for "what the market will bare" and some people think "you get what you pay for". It looks like to me you might fall in the same category as me. I think you get what you shop for. I use Talley light weights because they work for my light stuff and I use Burris Signatures for everything else. It's not like I can't afford more. I spent $1,600 on the action, $600 on the barrel, $520 for the stock (with no inletting), $1,350 for a scope, and other expenses to get what I want.

This same attitude applies to scopes. I tried four Swarovski scopes. Their binoculars are fine. If someone gave me a new in the box Swarovski I would sell it to they guy who believes you get what you pay for.

There's cost (production, quality control, material, etc ...) associated with quality. Name brand licensing alone has a cost associated with it, that's why there are substitutes i.e., generics in the drug industry. What brand is the $15 ebay ring? The bottom-line if the $15 ring works for you, stick with it.

Some companies go for "what the market will bare" and some people think "you get what you pay for". It looks like to me you might fall in the same category as me. I think you get what you shop for. I use Talley light weights because they work for my light stuff and I use Burris Signatures for everything else. It's not like I can't afford more. I spent $1,600 on the action, $600 on the barrel, $520 for the stock (with no inletting), $1,350 for a scope, and other expenses to get what I want.

This same attitude applies to scopes. I tried four Swarovski scopes. Their binoculars are fine. If someone gave me a new in the box Swarovski I would sell it to they guy who believes you get what you pay for.

b, +1 on the Talley Lightweight. I had seen them on many different high dollar customs in their ad pics and assumed if I didn't need + MOA mounts I'll try them. Most of my friends and I now have them on most of our rifles. I'd say Talleys are mid priced at $37-$45 depending on the vendor. Perhaps the low cost rings are not machined to as tight tolerances. Good luck

There was no brand name on the eBay rings. Not even on the package it came in. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put these ebay rings on my high power rig because I too think you get what you pay for, to a certain degree. But sometimes that degree is hard to determine. The part that confuses me is these rings came from China and I'm not sure where leupold gets there rings from but most stuff comes from China. Thanks for the reply guys. I was just curious to hear others opinions that have more experience in this department

There was no brand name on the eBay rings. Not even on the package it came in. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't put these ebay rings on my high power rig because I too think you get what you pay for, to a certain degree. But sometimes that degree is hard to determine. The part that confuses me is these rings came from China and I'm not sure where leupold gets there rings from but most stuff comes from China. Thanks for the reply guys. I was just curious to hear others opinions that have more experience in this department

It does not matter where Leupold (or any company) currently outsource their rings or products as long as the quality control meets or exceeds Leupold's US standard of quality.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.