Rifle sling smell?

fmajor

Hi all - I recently received a Slogan Outdoors "Long Magnum HD Tactical 3-Sling" made from synthetic rubber. It seems like a great sling - haven't taken it on a mountain hike yet, but I'm confident its gonna perform very well.

My question is that it smells kinda musty - like it was stored in a moist garage for a long time - does anyone have an idea (or experience with) neutralizing that smell?

I've washed it in hot, soapy water and it's been hanging outside getting lots of hot, Colorado sunshine, but it's still a bit stinky...

Help!?!?!?

Hi all - I recently received a Slogan Outdoors "Long Magnum HD Tactical 3-Sling" made from synthetic rubber. It seems like a great sling - haven't taken it on a mountain hike yet, but I'm confident its gonna perform very well.

My question is that it smells kinda musty - like it was stored in a moist garage for a long time - does anyone have an idea (or experience with) neutralizing that smell?

I've washed it in hot, soapy water and it's been hanging outside getting lots of hot, Colorado sunshine, but it's still a bit stinky...

Help!?!?!?

Musty odors can be caused by a number of things, but, generally speaking, mold and mildew are the main culprits.

I've used vinegar on musty sleeping bags before; check out >>> Removing Musty Smells and Odors from your Home-Odor Removal

If it is dry, put it in a ziplock with some baking soda. Baking soda absorbs odors. I don't know if I would let it sit out in the sun. Sun is usually pretty harsh on rubber items (although the sling might have been made of something impervious to the sun).
They do come with a lifetime warranty. Before you do too much to it, call their customer service, and maybe they can send you a new one with a return label to send the stinky one back.

Might just be the rubber... I've got both the standard and magnum slogan outdoor slings, and I remember them both having somewhat of a strong odor when I first got them.

I'll check when I get home, but they might still have a very faint rubber smell...

Thanks all!

I've sent Curt Hann (owner iirc) an e-mail earlier in the week, but no response as of yet.

Many great suggestions above and I'll be giving them all a whirl over the weekend (picked up another gallon jug of vinegar yesterday!).

Again, thanks so much. I'll try to post pics when I've (successfully) got rid of the smell.

Might just be the rubber... I've got both the standard and magnum slogan outdoor slings, and I remember them both having somewhat of a strong odor when I first got them.

I'll check when I get home, but they might still have a very faint rubber smell...

Hey T338 -

Did you happen to check on your slings for any rubbery smell?

Thanks

Musty odors can be caused by a number of things, but, generally speaking, mold and mildew are the main culprits.

I've used vinegar on musty sleeping bags before; check out >>> Removing Musty Smells and Odors from your Home-Odor Removal

Hey Feenix - thanks for the linky..... but the vinegar no worky....

If it is dry, put it in a ziplock with some baking soda. Baking soda absorbs odors. I don't know if I would let it sit out in the sun. Sun is usually pretty harsh on rubber items (although the sling might have been made of something impervious to the sun).
They do come with a lifetime warranty. Before you do too much to it, call their customer service, and maybe they can send you a new one with a return label to send the stinky one back.

So.... the sling is enjoying a roll in the ol baking soda!!!

THanks fellas - i'll report back in a few days!

OK - the roll in the baking soda has worked it's magic about 80%. I'm gonna give it another roll in some fresh soda for another few days and see where it stands after that.

Thanks again for the helpful replies!

Hey T338 -

Did you happen to check on your slings for any rubbery smell?

Thanks

I checked and mine just have the very slightest of rubber smell. Nothing that I would notice without trying. But they're also about 5-6 years old now. Good to hear you're getting it figured out with baking soda.

Hey Feenix - thanks for the linky..... but the vinegar no worky....

So.... the sling is enjoying a roll in the ol baking soda!!!

THanks fellas - i'll report back in a few days!

Bummer! The use of baking soda was also one of the remedies mentioned on the link I provided. Perhaps it's not a mold, which is a good thing. :D

Good luck and keep us posted.

Try Earth Sented dryer sheets. Most sporting goods stores have them. I used them on some rubber hunting boots and a leather rifle sling and they worked good. Just put your sling in a gallon storage bag with a couple of the dryer sheets and let them set for about a week or more and you should be good to go. Now, I put all my hunting clothes, boots, belts, knives ect. in plastic totes with the earth sented dryer sheets when I'm not using them and everything smells like dirt. I've had deer walk right across my trail and come to within a couple of yards with these hunting clothes on so I guess it works good.

Try Earth Sented dryer sheets. Most sporting goods stores have them. I used them on some rubber hunting boots and a leather rifle sling and they worked good. Just put your sling in a gallon storage bag with a couple of the dryer sheets and let them set for about a week or more and you should be good to go. Now, I put all my hunting clothes, boots, belts, knives ect. in plastic totes with the earth sented dryer sheets when I'm not using them and everything smells like dirt. I've had deer walk right across my trail and come to within a couple of yards with these hunting clothes on so I guess it works good.

Thanks Waynard!

That sounds like a great idea/product. I'll have to see if I can buy some locally (though www shopping is always a possibility).

The smell has pretty much subsided, though I left the sling outside for past few weeks. I have in mind to store in a plastic bag loaded with pine cones to add a little something extra.

Again, thanks for the many great replies/suggestions!!!!

frank

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.