Rifle Recommendations, New 300 WM for VLD Style Bullets?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I just recently sold my Rem. 700 5r, because it was just too heavy to lug around hunting. I have been eyeing the X-Bolt LR in 300WM and like it, however, would like to hear some other recommendations for quality rifles around the $850 mark.

Additionally, I would like the ability to load longer cartridges, like the Berger Hybrid, to full length and not be limited by the magazine length.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I think you found a winner in your first choice. I do not have one but have shot them and they are great.

It is a really appealing rifle. My understanding is, unfortunately, the magazine limits the ability to load VLDs to the lands without single feeding, which obviously isn't an option for a hunting rifle.

I've run into that. With that said what is your intended range for hunting. Just for example I build all my first customs for big heavies and long range. Then realized I was chasing my tail when I truly didn't feel good about a very long shot with said rifles on game.
Plus if you find yourself needing that real long bullet chances are you are way past 600 yards. That means a second shot is wishful thinking. Most my rifles have two loads. Usually a hammer for most hunting situations and then a single feed big laser for long range work.
Example my 375 AM I have the 400gr laser single feed for long range work past 800. Then I have a second load that I can use as a repeater.
Just some food for thought.
I run the 181 hammer hunters in my win mag and they get me to 1000 pretty easy and mag feed. That's after I had the 215 Berger load for longer shots. Just never found myself using those so mostly hammers now.

Again don't want to persuade you either way just food for thought as I've been through that same situation many times.
I would pick the rifle I like best then just find a load that will work the best for your intended use and go with it. Good news is the 300 win mag doesn't need a giant bullet to get you long range kills

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.