rifle questions, Crane Oregon

roan1111

Been coyote hunting for a lot of yrs now. Current rifle is a Vanguard 22-250. Shoots like a dream but a little heavy to pack all day and slow twist, 1:14. Wouldn't mind trading in but not sure what to look at. Any suggestions? What does anyone think about the 6.5 284? I do like the 22-250 but just a thought.

Last edited:
I think the answer to your question depends on your maximum shooting range requirement. The 22-250 is a great coyote caliber at the typical ranges that they are hunted. Especially if you are calling. The 1:14 twist requires lighter bullets and therefore tend to run out of steam as you get much further out than 500-600 yards. A faster twist, such as 1:9 would enable the use of heavier, high BC bullets and while not as fast, would enable you to extend your effective range. The 6.5x284 might be overkill unless you want to get into the longer range shooting, out to 800+ yards. To be fully effective at the longer ranges you would want some weight in this rifle as well. Sounds like you are trying to reduce weight. Depending on the range you wish to hunt, yor answer could as simple as trying to lighten your existing rifle, or, buy a lighter one in the same caliber and go with a faster twist. I shoot coyotes with my 6.5x284 on the side when I'm big game hunting, or purposely wanting to hunt them at really long range. It's deadly at long range. Otherwise, for dedicated coyote hunting, my rifle is a Savage predator, 1:9 twist, 22-250. I think the 22-250 is a great coyote round. IMHO.

Thanks for the advice, looks like a great rifle. I couldn't find the 22-250 in the 1:9, only the 1:12. Would that have been a special order rifle or maybe they've discontinued? Thanks again for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.