Rifle cover

Nzrob

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anybody is using a rifle cover when walking into your hunting spot or moving through the bush? Something that covers the barrel and scope and can be easily removed if you see an animal.

Cheers Rob

I use an Eberlestock G3 Phantom. I have 3 options. 1) Attached to the pack frame as a backscabbord. 2) As a drag bag or 3) Once at "base camp, lighten the load, leave the pack and just carry the rifle in the backscabbord. I always use a rifle cover. Keeps it safe. I spent too much on the rifle to mess it up. :). I have no affiliation with Eberlestock.

I hope you find this usefull. There are other packs with a similar capability.

Jeff

I've never used one. I tape my barrel and use a neoprene scope cover. I use a kifaru gun runner so I can see my barrel and don't run it into trees and won't fall on it. I haven't ever felt the need for anything more.

I have several Solo Hntr weatherproof covers and they work great. Pack up to almost nothing when you pull off rifle, and protect rifle/scope when in back seat of truck. Lightweight, and inexpensive to boot. Just be sure to order right length.

I'm a electrical tape and scope covers as well. Bike tires make good scope covers and aren't missed when left somewhere and you don't have them. Can make one pretty easy and plenty of motorcycle shops around will give them away if the bike shop won't.

I can't recommend a rifle cover enough. I have a Bushbuck branded one (local NZ company). There's Two main reasons I brought one. The first was the dust kicked up when quad biking into private land hunting areas. The other reason (which is relevant to back packing) is I hate my nice rifles getting scratched up as I bash through the scrub to break out into the tussock. Not having to worry about tape and a scope cover is an added benefit

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.