Light rifle

280AIman

Hello folks, I want your opinions. I'am Build a Light weight backpack rifle, and i want to know what you guys think of it. I will be Moving to Montana In 2 years, and this will be my main rifle, I have a Winchester action, i ordered a Hart ultra Light SS barrel in .284in dia. with a 1-8.5 twist it will be chambered in my favorite cal of course, .280AI 22inch long. and i will be mounting a Swarovski 2x-7x scope with talley rings and mounts, my only thing i need yet is a stock which is where you fine gents come in, i want a composite ultra light stock for this. what would you guys say i should use.
Please help me out.

Scott.

gun)Hi Light rifle;
I would talk to the guys at MPI 18-19 oz. Got one on my Win. model 70
LH, SS, 7mm mag. I love it.

ferrett

If you know how many guns you have you need to buy more

I put my lite rifle together with a goal of keeping it under 7.5 #, picking a 500y calibre, and using all factory stuff. I chose a LH Sav 111 Syn in .270, a 3-9x32 scope, ltwt rings and bases, and ltwt sling. I succeeded magnificently. All totalled it weighs 7.3# and will whang the shots to 500 all day long with no shoulder pain. And I did it for less than $700.00. Before I laid even $1.00 out for anything tho I thoroly researched the weight of every item I intended to purchase. Good luck on your rifle.

I put my lite rifle together with a goal of keeping it under 7.5 #, picking a 500y calibre, and using all factory stuff. I chose a LH Sav 111 Syn in .270, a 3-9x32 scope, ltwt rings and bases, and ltwt sling. I succeeded magnificently. All totalled it weighs 7.3# and will whang the shots to 500 all day long with no shoulder pain. And I did it for less than $700.00. Before I laid even $1.00 out for anything tho I thoroly researched the weight of every item I intended to purchase. Good luck on your rifle.

I too had researched every thing and right now with out a stock, it sitting at 6LBS, 1OZ, without the stock, i had the bolt fluted and the bolt handle skelatinized, as well as the bolt knob hollowed, the barrel is fluted also to save weight, the only thing i cant decide on is the stock, i have looked at every imaginable and still cant decide what one to go with, that is why i need everyones help here, i know the 280AI will do its job to 700yrd in this set up. i hade one before that i gave to my Brother when he came home from the service, as a birthday gift. now i need a new one. my last one was built on a Kimber action and i used the Kimber 8400m synthytic stock and it weight 6 3/4LBS when done.

I use high tech specialties stocks for the lightweight guns. It's a bit of work to finish them, but they turn out very well.

check out lone wolf stocks...they have one that weighs 12 ounces. I will be building an ultralight hunting rifle next year and will definitely be using on of these.

Scottr

forget the stock, the whole gun for that matter. my question is why would somebody in their right mind move from tamaqua,( i assume pa. ,)to a place like montana. wont you miss the dreary winter days, and the hopelessness found in those old coal towns? just kidding of coarse, best of luck in your new venture.

Tamaqua... the land of running water.. That's what the Indians named it long ago.

How do I know that... I'm from McAdoo..

msalm had a good recommendation, check out the High Tech Specialties stock. Bansner makes them and they are about as light as you can get. They do require a bit of finishing..

i have no suggestions for you, but i do have a question what do you hunt when you go backpacking, deer, or what and if it is bigger game do you put the carcass between your teeth and walk out? or do you skin it and stay out till you ate teh whole thing? i am imagining a big burly guy with a 10 pointer in his teeth walking out of the bush terrifying some tourists out on a pavement safari:Dgun)

Savageman, the backpacking hunter typically bones out the buck, which reduces it to a manageable weight if a guy is in decent condition. I even just cut the top of the skull off, and haul it out with the antlers attached instead of the whole head.

I pack in fairly light, leaving a fair bit of room in and on my pack for a kill. As I've gotten older, I also allow time, in case I need to haul the deer out in one load, and return a day later for the rest of my gear.

BTW - back to the light rifle - I haven't made any effort to drop the weight of my backpacking rifles to any appreciable degree. I shoot a standard weight rifle better than I shoot an ultra-light, but that's just me. This year I just toted in my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL with a fixed 6x Leupold. It's a good shooting rifle that has taken several mule deer in the few years I've owned it. Light enough, and heavy enough for me.

Regards, Guy

I'm running two different Mcmillan Edge stocks on Remingtons. Definitely worth a look as they are a fine stock.

I have a Rem 700 Titanium, trued action and featherweight Krieger barrel, in the original stock with Talley two piece lightweight rings and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 on it that weighs in at 6.5lb loaded, with sling. Caliber is 7mm-08.
Should consider the Ti action, I am trying to find, or might build a stock that is more comfortable for shooting prone, but the factory offering, which I belive is a Bell & Carlsen is quite ok.