Rifle Cleaning and Copper Cutting

I tried the 2 new solvents from Bore Tech, Cu+2 Copper Remover and C4 Carbon Remover. They work very well but in my opinion, no better than Eliminator. To keep things simple (like O'reilly, I'm a simple guy), I'd rather use one solvent than two, so Eliminator is it for me. That's not to say I won't try the next new wonder salve that hits the market.

Festus

I have Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover. My experience is that the Cu+2 is the more efficient copper remover - of these two products. They are both very effective. Just that Cu+2 is slightly more effective IMO. I judge this to be the case by first using the Eliminator product until blue staining is fading. Then when coming back with the Cu+2, the first patch through is stained noticeably bluer than the prior patch which had solely the Eliminator on it.

So I use the Eliminator first to remove carbon deposits, powder, and copper for a couple patches. Then I switch over to the Cu+2 strictly for the remaining copper.

KG-12 is a very efficient copper remover also, but it doesn't stain blue, so it's harder to tell when all copper has been removed. So I like the Bore Tech products better for the telltale blue staining they leave on the cleaning patches.

I used to use Barnes CR-10. It's fairly worthless compared to the Bore Tech products, and will rot (corrode) your bore if you let it evaporate in the bore. The dried ammonia attracts moisture, which in turn will corrode your bore. I trashed one chrome-moly bore with some of the initial CR-10 product to hit the market (many years ago) because Barnes' initial Direction for Use instructions didn't include a restriction on the time their product could be left in the bore. All it stated was "safe for all bores" and "will not corrode the bores". Their directions for use were later changed to warn against leaving their CR-10 in the bore for more than so many minutes. I also corroded a stainless barrel with the stuff. CR-10 is a menace, a hazard, stinks to high heaven, and doesn't remove copper as quickly, efficiently, or as safely, as the Bore Tech products, in my opinion - which is based on the extensive use of both products.

Last edited:
phorath. Good to know. This is exactly the information that i was looking for. I appreciate all of the comments shared here.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.