Rifle Cleaning

Likewise I have found too frequent cleaning to not be particularly helpful. Having one of the newer Lyman borescopes has put me at ease with this. I continue to use a mop to clean the chamber more often than the barrel.

3FF97470-CCBA-4058-B780-A9475AC036AE.jpeg
9640AB08-04E6-43B5-B623-5558F6D3F509.jpeg

FC6E5D9A-D260-42CF-B911-4DA3114D5C26.jpeg

I am one to try new stuff. I am leaving one of creedmoors dirty and not cleaning it. So just an idea of how it shoots see groups, this is what this gun does even with my rookie reloads. I will update y'all at 1k rounds. I am already at 250 or so since last cleaning so I got about 650 rounds to go! We will see what happens!

Last edited:
it is often said that there is more damage done to a barrel by the owner cleaning it than by shooting it
Well this could be true if the owner has no idea on how to clean the barrel. Barrel cleaning exercises are mandatory for all of my rifle and pistol students. There is no excuse for damaging a firearm during cleaning with all the information available, especially on U Tube. Now you ask, how often do I clean my firearms? The answer to that is, how much did I fire it and when am I going to fire it next. If there haven't been many rounds fired and I'm going to be shooting it relatively soon, no I don't clean it. An example is deer hunting season. It gets the zero confirmed and unless it is subjected to rain it doesn't get cleaned until the season is over. Here in Wisconsin this means from the Saturday before Thanksgiving until the end of the holiday hunts which end December 31st. One must use common sense when determining when to clean, but as far as I'm concerned it's next to impossible to over clean but not cleaning will destroy a barrel in short order. Carbon left in the barrel attracts moisture and moisture on steel causes rust.