New rifle cleaning

Archer357

So picked up my new Bergara B14 Ridge. Thought I will clean the barrel. Well, after 30 patches and using bronze brush, still getting dirty patches. Cleaned brush off with break clean before using it again so I was not introducing dirt again. Using Hoppes # 9, then tried some butches bore shine. Waited 5 minutes or so letting solvent work Multiple times. Is this normal?
have bore guide, Dewey cleaning rod.

So picked up my new Bergara B14 Ridge. Thought I will clean the barrel. Well, after 30 patches and using bronze brush, still getting dirty patches. Cleaned brush off with break clean before using it again so I was not introducing dirt again. Using Hoppes # 9, then tried some butches bore shine. Waited 5 minutes or so letting solvent work Multiple times. Is this normal?
have bore guide, Dewey cleaning rod.
I recently cleaned a new Remington 783 barrel. Same results as you had. A lot of patches. I think it had grease or lube from the button process left in it.

I don't ever get "Lilly-White" patches out of any of my bores. If I cleaned them until I did, I'd probably run out of patches. I always get the gross contamination out, use a copper solvent every other time, until the blue goes away and then patch out with Hoppes. Got rifles with lots of rounds through 'em and accuracy hasn't fallen off a bit. Nothing is ever perfectly clean - except maybe my thoughts.

I'd probably hit it with a foaming bore cleaner. Then run 5-6 dry patches through it. Then I'd sight it in and shoot it for 100 or more rounds before thinking about cleaning it. But that's just me.

Residue from the rifling process sometimes coatings to keep bore from rusting until it sells, then carbon, powder residue, and jacketing and copper from bullets fired in it testing. I clean mine good at the start and every shot for first 6-8 to break in after that every 3 and after that about every 20 till I hit 100 rounds thru. After that its 30-50 shot strings before cleaning.

I do this with factory barrels and match barrels.

My last Savage barrel was filthy from the factory. Cleaned like it had fifty rounds through it. Barrel is rougher than a cob and fouls quickly, but hey, it shoots well. I imagine much of it is from the manufacturing process and coupled with the preservatives they use. You could fire lap this thing till its worn out and there would still be tool marks. LOL

Purchase a Teslong Bore scope for 50.00 and see what is really showing up as carbon or copper. Before I purchased mine, I would spend a looonnnggg time running patch after patch after patch trying to get the little faint blue patch to come clear, never happened. After I received the scope, it proved that no copper existed in the barrel after about 30 me minutes of cleaning.

I use Boretech proof positive jags and nylon brush, the Tipton carbon rod has a brass end. The only faint to light blue I can think that is causing is that brass end of the Tipton rod.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.