Rifle Cleaning Equipment Question

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am looking at getting me some new cleaning equipment for my .300 PRC, below is a kit from Dewey rods. And I was wondering if anyone has bought one of these before and if so please let me know your thoughts on not only the cleaning rod but also the bore guide that is included as well.

Also, how often or after how many rounds do you normally clean your barrel?

All info is appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
I have the Dewey rod, it is a good rod, but you have to have that adapter, if you want to use other brand jags and brushes.

Everyone's opinions will vary but n when to clean your barrel. It'll depend on what you're doing with the rifle also. Most of the time your barrel will let you know when it's time to clean.

Dewey's makes good products. I think you'll be happy.

My general rule of thumb for cleaning is after 100 rounds. I got that recommendation from the Accuracy International owners manual. I figure they know something about keeping accurate rifles shooting well.

The benchrest gun is different story.

No issues with Dewey.

Cleaning your rifle depends on a number of factors. Bullet choice for one may determine your frequency as well as the solvent used. So, mono copper bullets may foul faster than traditional cup and cores. Powder in the case may also deposit more or less carbon.

One thing I've discovered over the years…you can over clean a rifle as far as frequency goes. Because I shoot mainly magnums in rifles, I don't have a crazy round count per rifle. I can pretty much shoot all year, clean at the conclusion of hunting season, and store for the next year. Zero accuracy issues. I recommend seeing how far you can push cleaning until you lose accuracy. Boom, you can figure out your cleaning schedule for your rifle and your load.

I can run a lot of ammo through my pistols and auto loading rifles before cleaning.

I've had fantastic results with Wipeout foaming bore cleaner. However, when used, I will have to foul the barrel to get it shooting well again.

No issues with Dewey.

Cleaning your rifle depends on a number of factors. Bullet choice for one may determine your frequency as well as the solvent used. So, mono copper bullets may foul faster than traditional cup and cores. Powder in the case may also deposit more or less carbon.

One thing I've discovered over the years…you can over clean a rifle as far as frequency goes. Because I shoot mainly magnums in rifles, I don't have a crazy round count per rifle. I can pretty much shoot all year, clean at the conclusion of hunting season, and store for the next year. Zero accuracy issues. I recommend seeing how far you can push cleaning until you lose accuracy. Boom, you can figure out your cleaning schedule for your rifle and your load.

I can run a lot of ammo through my pistols and auto loading rifles before cleaning.

I've had fantastic results with Wipeout foaming bore cleaner. However, when used, I will have to foul the barrel to get it shooting well again.
Understood. Thank you for the info and wisdom! After looking over everything I might just go with some Tipton products (one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod & bore guide) I know that aren't as good probably as the Dewey rods but I believe that it will save me some money across the board and if I ever decide to go up and get a higher priced one then I can. Thank you again for the info.

PS: I was starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the different info and ways of cleaning that some people do (not that there is anything wrong with that, they are just more experienced than me). Thank you for helping put my mind at ease.

Understood. Thank you for the info and wisdom! After looking over everything I might just go with some Tipton products (one piece carbon fiber cleaning rod & bore guide) I know that aren't as good probably as the Dewey rods but I believe that it will save me some money across the board and if I ever decide to go up and get a higher priced one then I can. Thank you again for the info.

PS: I was starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the different info and ways of cleaning that some people do (not that there is anything wrong with that, they are just more experienced than me). Thank you for helping put my mind at ease.
Nothing wrong with the Tipton carbon one pieces. I have a couple myself.

I have several Deweys for various calibers and they have served me well for hunting and competition. Some are 30 years old. They are a bit delicate in how you handle them as their bearings in the handle are not as sturdy as other makes. I have since transitioned to all steel Pro-Shot rods mainly due to the lower profile handle which does not force me to lift the rod to prevent hitting the heel portion of the stocks. Using the proper bore guides and cleaning procedures my Dewey coated rods are still in pristine condition.