Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

I've only had one, and it's on the Savage. Yet I've been around a dozen or so thru the years. The one they make for a Remington dosn't seem to work quite as well as the Savage (why I don't know). One issue I've seen with the Remingtons using them is a gun that came with the J-lock seems to be the one that is hard to get running. My .223 was a J-lock gun, and that's why I never went with it. But with some other changes I made, I think it would work just fine. The Savage has a speedlock kit in it, and it liked to drove me nuts getting all that ironed out (cocking mechanism was very stiff). Then I learned that it was the nature of the beast. I'm not in love with those six ounce triggers out in the field, and tend to stay away from them and folks that use them out there. Two pounds is about right for me, but have had the Savage down to fourteen ounces without a glitch.
gary

I should mention that I worked for quite a while with RB to get the issue with my trigger fixed to no avail. At that time (5 yo or so) I was less than pleased with the 'help' that I received as nothing fixed the very poor working safety after mulitiple attempts. Finally and fortunately, Midway USA took back the trigger, no questions asked, and I turned around and bought a Jewell from Midway USA and have since seen no reason to look anywhere else. I don't intend to trash a company/product, I'm just relaying my experience.

I should mention that I worked for quite a while with RB to get the issue with my trigger fixed to no avail. At that time (5 yo or so) I was less than pleased with the 'help' that I received as nothing fixed the very poor working safety after mulitiple attempts. Finally and fortunately, Midway USA took back the trigger, no questions asked, and I turned around and bought a Jewell from Midway USA and have since seen no reason to look anywhere else. I don't intend to trash a company/product, I'm just relaying my experience.

two things:

* the Jewell in a Remington is probably the best the average joe can put his hands on (there are a couple that are just as good if not better, and one that is better). I assume you bought the one with the saftey feature (I would never buy one without it)

* now my one real complaint about them is that they seem to be prone to picking up junk inside the mechanism. Of course you can simply flush it out with lighter fluid. Once again the nature of the beast.
gary

two things:

* the Jewell in a Remington is probably the best the average joe can put his hands on (there are a couple that are just as good if not better, and one that is better). I assume you bought the one with the saftey feature (I would never buy one without it)

* now my one real complaint about them is that they seem to be prone to picking up junk inside the mechanism. Of course you can simply flush it out with lighter fluid. Once again the nature of the beast.
gary

Yep, bought two with the safety mechanism. One look at the integrated Jewell mechnaism (without that detent ball that can fall out!) and the all stainless design, the tremendous adjustablity and reliability and it just seemed a no brainer, but I had to go through frustration, time and money to finally arrive at that conclusion because I had not wanted to spend the hi $ for the Jewell--cheaper in the long run it was, however.

I've wondered about more junk getting in there as well. I don't know if the lighter fluid may leave a residue or not that attracts dust? It hasn't been an issue thus far and I think that I critique the Jewell more than the other triggers just because of how much it cost and my subsequent hi expectations for it? Not sure.

gary

Yep, I have had it happen twice on two different rifles with Jewells. Won't fire when you pull, then as you lift the bolt.. BOOM!! Flush them out with lighter fluid and you are good to go. One of these I think I got some cleaning solution in durring barrel brake in. It was a new rifle and trigger and I think that is what did it. So I am very careful now while cleaning to not let cleaning solution run down into the trigger.

Jeff

Yep, I have had it happen twice on two different rifles with Jewells. Won't fire when you pull, then as you lift the bolt.. BOOM!! Flush them out with lighter fluid and you are good to go. One of these I think I got some cleaning solution in durring barrel brake in. It was a new rifle and trigger and I think that is what did it. So I am very careful now while cleaning to not let cleaning solution run down into the trigger.

Jeff

two problems there. To really clean the trigger group out with lighter fluid you need to remove the barreled action. Then you loose the zero point. But some folks flush them inside the stock. Then they also screw up the bedding. Not so bad with a bench gun shooting twenty shots, but not so fun when you shoot a bunch of shots.
gary

Thars correct Gary, I always pull the stock to flush the trigger group and blow it dry. Then re-torque and check zero. I tend to check my zero quite often anyway. One of my rifles in an A5 Mcmillan that is bedded, will most of the time stay on zero when you R&R the stock. But I still like to check it.

Jeff

Originally Posted by FEENIX said:
Since they are a piece of junk, how much do you want for it?

Do all of your RB triggers work fine? Are they safe? If you bump the rifle will it go off? Because that is what this one does.

They have a chance to fix it. So we'll see what happens and how it goes, but like I said before, you don't have to look hard to find others who have had problems with the RB trigger. :cool:

Yes, I have 3 of them without any problem.

Yes, I have 3 of them without any problem.

I wish my one worked. Are yours Sav-1's or Sav-2's? I'd ask for help from you but, if you haven't had any problem then it will be tough for you to help me....

I'm glad at the moment that I only ordered 1. I have 2 more rifles I was planning on using RB triggers on.

I wish my one worked. Are yours Sav-1's or Sav-2's? I'd ask for help from you but, if you haven't had any problem then it will be tough for you to help me....

I'm glad at the moment that I only ordered 1. I have 2 more rifles I was planning on using RB triggers on.

honestly I think the Sharp Shooter trigger is slightly better (not the EVO). Never owned one, but have some friends that use them. I'm almost thinking that your problem may not be in the trigger but in the timming and truing of the action. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like I'd be looking at the cocking device next. (note: been eons since I even had a good look it it's setup) If the whole shebangt isn't square with the action I can see a problem. Perhaps I'm wrong, and somebody here should know upfront.
gary

You might have the wrong trigger pull spring in. It should of came with 2 trigger pull springs, 1 is for above 2 pounds and the other is for ounces to 2 pounds. They should be color coded as per the instructions. I have two and they are the best trigger that you can get for a savage. I also have the sharpshooter trigger and it doesn't even compare if you want a lower weight.

Almost forgot didn't your trigger come with a DVD? It also explains the different springs on that too.

Ok, Lets talk about RB triggers again.... Now that I have the second trigger, and I have a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge to put on it now.

And I am still unhappy. Because the trigger does not do what is advertised. This one does the same thing as the last.

If I put the red spring which is the lighter of the two, and adjust the trigger to below 14 ounces it is unsafe. If you rack the bolt hard enough, as in a hunting situation for a follow up shot the gun will FIRE. That's right, go off while closing the bolt in a quick manor.

Anything below 10 ounces and the sear may not even catch, but if it does you can't close the bolt anything but super soft or the gun will go off.

So, I can get it below 1lb and it be safe, but 4 ounces is a huge stretch. The trigger does not do what's advertised.

And I swapped out springs between the two triggers and tried everything possible since I have both of them at the moment, but if I wanted to swap out another trigger (Different brand), I still wouldn't be happy, because I don't think there is another one (with a safety) that will adjust below 1lb.

RB triggers are disappointing. Customer service is good, but they're are not as advertised.

Testing.... Is this thing on? Everyone was quick to defend RB. I have real data now and I'd like to talk to someone who is or isn't having the same problems. And why, or why not?

Mine is an SAV-2 and I'm trying to get the trigger pull down below 10 ounces safely.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.