Reusing brass with ejector swipes

My AR10 will put a swipe on pretty much anything regardless of charge weight unless I turn the gas completely off. I reuse it. The brass life is short enough in that gun as it is.
Have you tried using the Tubbs flatware spring with the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle your ammo. Also a F/A BC. Add mass to delay the intiation of bolt unlocking. Short of moving the gas port or using a spiral wound gas tube adding mass on the backend is the only easy way to delay unlocking.

The brass life...I wonder what the chamber vs virgin brass setback/headspace is? Then again it may just be so large in diameter measurements you would need a custom die to not over size it. On my hunting ARs I set case shoulder to 0.003" even have used 0.002" without issue. But my barrels are custom with tighter chambers that fit more like our bolt guns. All my 16" and longer are using rifle length or longer gas port locations. The real issues are anything with smaller caliber size than 30 cal.

Last edited:
Ejector Mark's are caused by a whole raft of things, only one of which is over pressure. Guys get wat to hung up un stuff like this. I have a couple of bolt guns that will leave ejector marks even with 1100 fps Trail Boss loads.

If your pressure is in bounds, as in not over published max loads and velocity is within published parameters, don't worry about ejector marks. If you are pushing the pressures look for issues that actually matter like incipient case separation, enlarged primer pockets or web expansion you can't resize.

Final comment, do NOT shave the face of the rim to get rid of ejector Mark's.

If your pressure is in bounds, as in not over published max loads and velocity is within published parameters, don't worry about ejector marks. If you are pushing the pressures look for issues that actually matter like incipient case separation, enlarged primer pockets or web expansion you can't resize.

Final comment, do NOT shave the face of the rim to get rid of ejector Mark's.
Unless you are looking to have possible protruding primers differing seating/crush depths etc. Yikes!

I guess using the word "swipe" does not apply in bolt guns only gas guns. To get a true swipe with the raised bur the bolt has to start unlocking before pressure decreases. Shooting various SA/FA rifles for much of my life I forget sometimes as I visualize a swipe when the term is used not a simple ejector imprint.