Retumbo pressure in the cold

Chandalar

Today I experienced a bit of a pressure spike in a 338 Lapua. My initial accuracy load was 92 gr. of Retumbo, 285 Hornady's at 32degF. Everything was done the same regarding reloading for both sessions. Today in Fairbanks it was 0 to -5 and I have been shooting these test rounds at 340 yards. in November when the first test was done it had 13 1/2" of drop @340 yards from a 100 yard zero again at 32F. Today at 0-ish my group was at 12 1/2 and there was slight bolt lift pressure. I did not allow the rounds to sit in the fired chamber and "warm up",,, I closed the bolt once I was on target ready to fire. Has anyone else experience pressure in Retumbo at colder temperatures?

I have personally not experienced it, but if you search this site there are shooters that have experienced increased velocity/pressure with Retumbo when subjected to low temperature.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.