Retrieving downed animals

When I worked in Alaska we would cut the green off the meat hanging on the meat pole and eat it. Our clients never took much meat so 4 or 5 guys could only eat moose meat so fast. Also, I used to have a guy that worked for me that would cut up any cull deer he shot right away. It was mostly because he didn't want to do his real job but that pre-rigormortis meat was always tougher than hell. We shot 2 does one time and he cut his up right away and I left mine for a week or so and the difference was night and day. I think it is prudent for a hunter to put the caring for their harvested meat ahead of everything else but there is more margin of error than a lot of people realize. We shoot buffalo all year long, including the warm summer months and we never have a problem with leaving them whole for several hours if necessary. Some lockers prefer them delivered whole. If you do ever get a problem though, it will be the esophagus or hump but that is an overnight deal.

I will say that I am not afraid to leave an animal over night, if he conditions are right. I always leave them caped, and as ready as possible to load on the horse or mules. I carry an old but clean bed sheet in my day pack, this can be loosely placed on the animal to keep the birds off in the morning. I have left animals within yards of ol' Jellystone and have never had wolves or bears touch an animal. Now, if Murphy was with you and something is left behind......after the first morning, don't go lookin for the gut pile because that can be very interesting!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.