Resin turkey decoy legs?.

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I have been given a resin "jake" turkey decoy. While well made I wish to make it more lifelike. A taxidermist is sending me an airbrush and also instructions for painting this decoy more lifelike anda friend is mounting a bearing so it will move easily. I am adding a short beard. I note there are holes in the decoy for legs. Does anyone have a clue as to where I can locate some lifelike legs for this decoy?
Also, we hunt both Merriams and Santa Fe Turkeys within 1 1/2 hrs of each other. Are there any major differences in the jakes of thes two species as to coloration?
Thanks in advance,

GEne S.

I'm not quite sure what a resin turkey decoy is? I've used brush and paint to add color to turkey heads...although an air brush would work even better! Most turkey decoys don't have legs so not sure if you need them. A real turkey fan tail is one of the biggest feature on a male turkey that gets gobbler's attention.

Merriams tend to have pure white to buff tail feather tips. Rio turkeys generally have darker buff tail feather tips. Most of the areas I hunt have hybrids of both and it doesn't seem to matter which colored tail feathers. If you do a search under merriam or rio turkeys you'll see photos of each.

Hello Jim's,

Resin is commonly used to describe plastic which is strong, but flexible, to a degree. I await the airbrush, will get the paints only when Iam sure exactly which ones I need for this jake. I have already located suitable material for the jakes' beard. Thank you. I do believe those legs will add some more realism, if I can find them.

Take Care,

Gene

I would be curious to see what your resin decoy looks like. Can you attach a photo to your post?

Turkey legs can be bought online through most taxidermy catalogs. Turkey taxidermists attach the legs to turkey forms and then place turkey skins over the plastic upper legs. The legs won't include the lower part of the leg with hooks and feet attached. If you want lower legs with hooks you may place a wanted post on taxidermy.net classified section. The legs you buy at taxidermists catalog can easily be attached to the lower leg with hook/feet via drilling a hole and using a large nail for a dowel...and using apoxy to attach the 2 together. If that's a little complicated there may be a taxidermist that can do this for you?

You may want to use non-glossy flat paint on your decoy or it may shine when light hits it?

Thanks to all the input. The taxidermy legs with their limitations sound like what should add a measure of realism to this jake decoy. The airbrush has arrived and paint will be ordered, so thank you all for your help.

WW

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.