Research

DieselGun24

Been shooting at the local range for a few years and been hunting for 3 in the local area. I do own a .308 and looking getting into long range shoot as a hobby and hunting style. Trying to see what rifle I could possibly build myself for a decent price. Looking for something up to 1000yds.

The Sendero is hard to beat. Bed the action, tune the trigger, add a brake if you like, and develop a load.

Plenty of good choices. You want a solid stock, fiberglass or laminate, not the flimsy synthetics. Walnut is okay, but not as stable. Lots of aftermarket options available. Boyds offers laminates at a steal, HS stocks are rugged and a great value (comes on the Sendero), Stocky's has lots of options readily available.

The rem trigger is good / tunable. The accutrigger is good.

Barrel contour and weight are personal preference. You are trading handling for stability. Pick the blend that works for you.

Caliber is a matter of use and taste. Almost anything will get to 1k. How hard does it need to hit when it gets there? A brake makes the mags comfortable to shoot. Barrel life is a consideration. In a factory configuration, my choice would be the Sendero in 300 win or 7rem.

Don't fret about getting things perfect. You'll always find a reason to build another one.

Last one I did was a Sendero in 300 win. I sold the factory stock for $200 and replaced it (quality stock, just didn't like it) with a laminate from Russo. I bedded the action, added a brake from Defensive Edge, and tuned the trigger. After load work, the rifle shot superbly. I took an elk with it just shy of 1200 yards.

Last edited:
If you want to build it your self... go w/ Savage or Stevens. Then you can upgrade as you like in your own home. Might want to look into a 7 SAUM or WSM, 300WSM, or 300 Win Mag. All of these calibers are really good for long range target and hunting.

Tank

If you want to build it your self... go w/ Savage or Stevens. Then you can upgrade as you like in your own home. Might want to look into a 7 SAUM or WSM, 300WSM, or 300 Win Mag. All of these calibers are really good for long range target and hunting.

Tank

What do you mean by "at home" as far as the Smithing? I am unfamiliar with the Savage. Also, what about barrel life with the short magnums?

If you can turn a wrench and use an allen wrench, then you will be able to put together a rifle in your basement. Savage uses a barrel nut to set head spacing. Because of this barrel nut, it doesn't require a lathe to fit a barrel to bolt face like on a any other rifle other than Savage. You will need an action wrench, and a barrel nut wrench to achieve this. Then you pick any aftermarket stock that fits a Savage action and you have a custom rifle built by you. If you want to save money on the build, you purchase a Stevens action, sell the barrel, stock, recoil lug, and trigger. You in turn purchase an aftermarket Rifle Basix trigger group (heard directions are good for installation and instruction), .250" Recoil lug, and a barrel of your choosing in what ever caliber and twist rate and stock.

I put together a list of stuff one time for a guy. Depending on what you decide to go with for stock, ring base, rings, and scope... you'll come in around $1200-$1500. If you want a muzzle break then you can expect around $200 for purchase and installation.

As far as caliber. The 300WSM and 7SAUM are going to give you about equal barrel life. That will be determined by how heavy a bullet you use and how hard you push them. If you shoot conservative loads with heavy bullets, I would expect around 2000rds. If you use light bullets, heavy bullets, and push them at high pressure loads (max) you can expect around 1200-1500rds. I trashed a barrel in 300WSM pushing heavy bullets with max loads in about 1200rds. But in was a 308Win converted to WSM. It had about 2000rds down the tube already as a 308. The 7WSM is going to give about 1200 from what I've read. 300WM you can expect 1500-2500rds. If you take care of the barrel, it will last a while. It will depend on how hot you run the barrel, how often you clean the barrel, and again the loads you use.

If you can turn a wrench and use an allen wrench, then you will be able to put together a rifle in your basement. Savage uses a barrel nut to set head spacing. Because of this barrel nut, it doesn't require a lathe to fit a barrel to bolt face like on a any other rifle other than Savage. You will need an action wrench, and a barrel nut wrench to achieve this. Then you pick any aftermarket stock that fits a Savage action and you have a custom rifle built by you. If you want to save money on the build, you purchase a Stevens action, sell the barrel, stock, recoil lug, and trigger. You in turn purchase an aftermarket Rifle Basix trigger group (heard directions are good for installation and instruction), .250" Recoil lug, and a barrel of your choosing in what ever caliber and twist rate and stock.

I put together a list of stuff one time for a guy. Depending on what you decide to go with for stock, ring base, rings, and scope... you'll come in around $1200-$1500. If you want a muzzle break then you can expect around $200 for purchase and installation.

As far as caliber. The 300WSM and 7SAUM are going to give you about equal barrel life. That will be determined by how heavy a bullet you use and how hard you push them. If you shoot conservative loads with heavy bullets, I would expect around 2000rds. If you use light bullets, heavy bullets, and push them at high pressure loads (max) you can expect around 1200-1500rds. I trashed a barrel in 300WSM pushing heavy bullets with max loads in about 1200rds. But in was a 308Win converted to WSM. It had about 2000rds down the tube already as a 308. The 7WSM is going to give about 1200 from what I've read. 300WM you can expect 1500-2500rds. If you take care of the barrel, it will last a while. It will depend on how hot you run the barrel, how often you clean the barrel, and again the loads you use.

Thank you for the info!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts