Republican Mule Deer Conservation Area Nebraska

BLovell

Has anyone ever applied for and/or gotten drawn for a mule deer tag in the Republican Mule Deer Conservation Area in Nebraska? My wife and I applied this year and we were successful in getting drawn. I could use any help from those who may have hunted this area before. I'm trying to find the best public land areas to hunt in this MDCA. From what I've seen, the public land is scattered throughout the area and varies in size. Any guidance on which public lands receive the least hunting pressure would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone ever applied for and/or gotten drawn for a mule deer tag in the Republican Mule Deer Conservation Area in Nebraska? My wife and I applied this year and we were successful in getting drawn. I could use any help from those who may have hunted this area before. I'm trying to find the best public land areas to hunt in this MDCA. From what I've seen, the public land is scattered throughout the area and varies in size. Any guidance on which public lands receive the least hunting pressure would be greatly appreciated.
Go further west like banner county or upper Platte region .big mule deer, and over the counter tags. Be hunting this region sine 2010. Always kill a nice buck
Last season bucks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181120-134641.png
    Screenshot_20181120-134641.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 368
Lived there 20 years ago. Hunting pressure from locals and eastern part of the state has gotten even heavier than it was then,esp for mule deer!
You need to do some preseason scouting and make contacts with ranches in the canyon country north and south of highway 6 and west of Cambridge

Lived there 20 years ago. Hunting pressure from locals and eastern part of the state has gotten even heavier than it was then,esp for mule deer!
You need to do some preseason scouting and make contacts with ranches in the canyon country north and south of highway 6 and west of Cambridge
Thanks Cutter1

Just a quick look at OnX maps and I think what I'd do - having never hunted this unit - would be to focus my efforts between Arapahoe and Oxford and then north and south to the unit boundaries. There's a bunch of small walk-in areas, some bordering ag fields. I'd try to ambush them coming out of the ag fields once (if) they cross into public.

As far as scouting is concerned - I would bet there is cattle on pretty much all of that walk-in right now and likely will be all the way up to rifle season. Makes it frustrating. A guy can always get an archery permit and hunt this unit during the early fall to become better acquainted. Good luck!

Just a quick look at OnX maps and I think what I'd do - having never hunted this unit - would be to focus my efforts between Arapahoe and Oxford and then north and south to the unit boundaries. There's a bunch of small walk-in areas, some bordering ag fields. I'd try to ambush them coming out of the ag fields once (if) they cross into public.

As far as scouting is concerned - I would bet there is cattle on pretty much all of that walk-in right now and likely will be all the way up to rifle season. Makes it frustrating. A guy can always get an archery permit and hunt this unit during the early fall to become better acquainted. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip Longshot284

Thanks for the tip Longshot284
After a little more review - I think I'd further concentrate efforts around the Beaver City area and would not go further north than hwy 34.

I looked up the Nebraska mule deer big game records for the counties in the area and the majority of big mule deer in the Republican unit come from Furnas county - grantees that only takes into account the deer that were officially scored, but still some what valid.

Longshot284, I cannot thank you enough for your help. I have been working since I posted this and haven't had time to look at anything. I work nights and these last few nights have been so busy that I feel like all I have done is stop to take a breath.
Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.