Nebraska Muzz Mule Deer

Elite Muzzleloader

Shot my first mule deer with a smokeless muzzleloader. 150 yard shot had rifle sighed in for 400 yards yet didn't need it. Belly crawled 100 yards to get into position.

Good job! I've seen some nice mulies just driving around western Nebraska.Like the front stuffer too...details on rifle and load?

The rifle was my cheap way into the smokeless world and best way to get started. It's an Optima Elite 45/70 Slufoot Conversion. It's been drilled and tapped for a savage breech plug and shoots 250 Hornady SST at 2640 fps with a Win 209 primer. Powder is 12/55 4759/4198 duplex. It will hold 3" groups at 400 on a perfect day. The SST are not designed for more than 300 yard shots yet if shot right it can be achieved.

Currently working on a McRem 45 build and plan on stretching it to 800 yards once I get it shooting 1 holers at 100 yards. At the moment in bedding a boyds stock and trying to decide if I should pillar bed it also. Going to shoot 275 Parker Match Hunters to get enough energy for an 800 yard shot. Powder will be 10/60 4759/4198 pushing it around 2800 unless I find a better load. If I can't get moa accuracy at 800 I'll look at my range again. I plan on posting full details on this build once I'm happy with my groups at 100.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.