Replacing a Premiere Reticles Light Tactical

randycw

I did the "buy once, cry once" several years back and purchased a Premier Reticles scope (a Light Tactical model) that was at the extreme end of my budget. It was a fantastic scope, but last hunting season my sling gave way when I jumped across some rocks and the rifle and scope took a nasty tumble. The scope is not tracking any longer and won't hold zero consistently (holds for some 5-20 shots then shifts for a few then is back to zero). Since the company went out of business, I am out of luck for repairs -- turns out I'll be crying more than once.

For a interim fix I have put a Meopta Optika6 on the rifle. The rifle's accuracy and consistency were not affected by the fall. The optic is a significant step back from the PR. So I am looking for a replacement option.

Criteria:
Similar optical performance to the PR
MIL
FFP
At least 3-15x
Budget max is $2,700

Use:
Hunting in WY -- antelope and deer to 1,500, elk to 900 yrds.
Targets to 2,000 yrds. (admittedly the 15x PR at 1,500+ yards was a bit small, but was still manageable)

Last edited:
We can get you setup with a Tangent Theta 315M. Much better scope than what you had. Quite a ways outside of your budget however.

We can get you setup with a Tangent Theta 315M. Much better scope than what you had. Quite a ways outside of your budget however.
I have read up on the Tangent Theta scopes, especially as PR was going under. They certainly are an upgrade, but I think around $1,500 beyond my budget too.

Have you contacted armament about a possible repair?
I did in November of 2021. They said they have no parts available for repairs on that scope line; limited parts for the Tactical line. They sent me new scope covers out of sympathy for my predicament. They were very friendly over the phone, just unable to offer service -- I certainly understand their position, but do wish I was in a better position for repair.

I dunno. That's a tough one...

Minox ZP5 is a similar optical design to the Premier, but ZP5 is CHUNKY and 2lbs... And discontinued...

Leupold MK5, maybe, but illum. is overpriced.

Vortex razor LHT 4.4-22 ...is not in the same league

Bushnell LRHS2 if you can live with 4.5x on the bottom end AND a much narrower FOV than you were used to...

Might have to look at a March 3-24 🤷‍♂️

S&B Ultrashort 3-20 if you luck out and find one used?

Good luck in your quest! Let us know what you decide on.

I did the "buy once, cry once" several years back and purchased a Premier Reticles scope (a Light Tactical model) that was at the extreme end of my budget. It was a fantastic scope, but last hunting season my sling gave way when I jumped across some rocks and the rifle and scope took a nasty tumble. The scope is not tracking any longer and won't hold zero consistently (holds for some 5-20 shots then shifts for a few then is back to zero). Since the company went out of business, I am out of luck for repairs -- turns out I'll be crying more than once.

For a interim fix I have put a Meopta Optika6 on the rifle. The rifle's accuracy and consistency were not affected by the fall. The optic is a significant step back from the PR. So I am looking for a replacement option.

Criteria:
Similar optical performance to the PR
MIL
FFP
At least 3-15x
Budget max is $2,700

Use:
Hunting in WY -- antelope and deer to 1,500, elk to 900 yrds.
Targets to 2,000 yrds. (admittedly the 15x PR at 1,500+ yards was a bit small, but was still manageable)
I've got a couple spare light tacticals and might be able to help you out - what reticle and dials did yours have?

I've got a couple spare light tacticals and might be able to help you out - what reticle and dials did yours have?
The reticle was their basic non-illum mrad (took a picture of the box description). I am not sure on the dials as I don't recall there being options, so I took a picture of those too.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20220721_225125385.jpg
    PXL_20220721_225125385.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20220721_225708022.jpg
    PXL_20220721_225708022.jpg
    955.5 KB · Views: 80
That's pretty stand up @Kimber7man .

OP, The only optic I can think of off hand that will meet your criteria & budget would be the Burris XTR PRO.

t
Thank you for the tip. I have been poking around on this one: specs look good and the price is well within budget. I don't find much in the way of reviews. I'd imagine the glass is at least as good as the PR I have -- none in my town to have a look through, although I'm not that far from Greeley. I wonder if I could just stop at their facility and have a look and handle of one?

Or maybe I just go with the Meopta for this season and save up for the "alpha" glass from ZCO or TT?!?

Here you go.

On a side note, i'd be very surprised if the folks in Greeley didn't let you finger one for a while.

t

Or maybe I just go with the Meopta for this season and save up for the "alpha" glass from ZCO or TT?!?
I think this is the right move. Go with a lesser scope now to afford an alpha option next year.

I don't regret any of the ZCO or Tangent scopes. Anytime I buy a mid-tier option I end up regretting it and wishing I just would've bought the better scope.

The reticle was their basic non-illum mrad (took a picture of the box description). I am not sure on the dials as I don't recall there being options, so I took a picture of those too.

Thank you!
Looks like a gen 2 mildot with mil turrets. I have one just like it with gen2 mildot but with MOA turrets. If that might work for you shoot me a PM.