Reno Nevada

Iron Worker

I live near some of the best coyote hunting area around I bet. But they're educated ,they live close to town (Congested area's) where you can't hunt or shoot. Closes to town so they can steel peoples pets ! Any suggestions ?

A good bow with some sharp broadheads and you can have yourself a good old time. I bought my bow just to shoot rock chucks in the city and haven't ever regretted it.

What's that got to do with coyote hunting in Reno NV

If you're talking about my comment I said to get a bow. They're the ultimate Urban Killer. You can call the coyotes in or spot and stalk them right in city limits or on the very outskirts of town and nobody will ever hear you shoot with yoru bow. That's why I bought mine is because I had rock chucks in city limits that I couldn't shoot with my rifle but a bow was just the ticket.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't think about that. I live in an Appartment 20 miles from what looks like prime coyote country,but none out there,but its early yet no way will I giver up. Any how thanks for the idea.

Bow or a .25 cal air rifle.

Jon

coyote.jpg

Hi Iron Worker,

Coyotes are smart but don"t give them to much, the coyotes on pevine get called alot i agree but so do the the ones around all the little towns, i would be willing to bet some of the stands i hunt get called up to 2-3 times a month. Thats my 2 cents, good luck this year.

Mike.

I'm not sure what you are asking. But I live in Reno and I have taken all kinds of coyotes where shooting was legal. Road hunting is really hit and miss. Electronic callers are fun and work. Chum works if you have the time like repeated days. Walking into the wind and never on a ridge line where they can make you before you see them.

Dogs only live where there is food. So if you see lots of rabbits and ground game birds. You will see dogs. Go out to a prospective area at night and if you hear dogs howling and yapping come back the next day.

I'm a 270 and now 243 man. Laser range finders are very helpful. Laser points around you when calling. So no matter where they come into sight you already have the distance

Well went to a place where there is a watering hole for cattle this morning. Saw tracks there last night. So walking to this spot I heard howling off in the distance ,so hey why not make my first stand here ? I called for 15 minutes thinking dang I should walked over to the watering hole like I planned. So I pack up and went there glassing the area for 10 minutes nothing . So I turn around and this big old yote come charging into the area where I WAS !!!!! I was able to get off a few shot as he was running away at 400+ yds . Well how's that for a lesson in patience ........Tracks every where plus lots of rabbits running all over. I feel encourage !

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts