remington

If you are referring to remington under fire, then yes it has been out for a while. I had a model 700 .270 accidentallly discharge last year. Squeezed the trigger on a pig but the gun didn't fire. Thinking I had a bad round I brought the gun to my lap, opened the bolt and bang! I had never heard of the problems untill that happened to me. Seems to have been going on for a while. I'll never buy another Remington of any kind after that experience.

If you are referring to remington under fire, then yes it has been out for a while. I had a model 700 .270 accidentallly discharge last year. Squeezed the trigger on a pig but the gun didn't fire. Thinking I had a bad round I brought the gun to my lap, opened the bolt and bang! I had never heard of the problems untill that happened to me. Seems to have been going on for a while. I'll never buy another Remington of any kind after that experience.
Sorry but that's BS. A model 700 cannot fire with the bolt open.

The Remington story is on msnbc, I take it this is an old story?
Yes it's an old story and it's full of BS.

For all the supposed design flaws and the lawsuits which have been filed, no one has ever been able to reproduce these "accidents" in front of a jury.

The truth is if the gun is properly maintained and the trigger is adjusted within factory spec it's impossible to cause the supposed inadvertant firings.

i.e. people who mess with the trigger not knowing what they are doing. I have no problem shelling out what ever it takes to have the stock trigger worked on.

Sorry but that's BS. A model 700 cannot fire with the bolt open.

Not to start an argument but that's not entirely true. By design that's the truth but if the firing pin has a catastrophic failure and breaks off of the cocking lever on moving the bolt up it could have enough force to hit the primer and set it off. You would know this happened when you worked the bolt again, if the gun didn't become a grenade in your hand!
To me this sounds like a hang fire, as in a failure of the primer or powder to ignite properly. The bad thing is you may never know, where is the rifle now?

Like stated above about the trigger- if the round went off on the down stroke that would be a slam fire and is a trigger/sear engagement problem usually the result of somebody messing with the trigger. But not always, improper maintenance and wear can also be the cause.
I have seen this on 700's with no mods, but a Winchester 70 as well.

I shouldn't have said opened the bolt, technically I didn't. I rotated the bolt when it went off. In hind sight I should have put it on safety. I had the trigger lightned to 3lbs. by a competent gunsmith. I myself have never "messed" with the trigger. None the less, I was more turned off by Remington's response. I had to ship the gun to them (my cost) they evaluated the gun, said the trigger assembly needed to be replaced. Best they would do was put a *** x mark trigger in it at half cost ($60 including shipping). That gun became a safe queen for a year and was recently traded for another gun by another manufacturer. I used to be a Remington guy, hell I still have 10 Remington guns. I only have one model 700 now, most are shotguns. I am not willing to risk another potential accident and Remington's lack of completelly taking care of the issue was the icing on the cake.

When you pulled the trigger did it sound like it would when dry firing...the "click"? Or did nothing happen at all?
I'm just wondering if it was a hang fire or a misfire . So it wasn't just factory, it had been altered from the factory?

Even if they WERE sold with bad triggers.....thats doesnt erase all the POSITIVE features of the 700 series. Buy one and then stick a Jewell or a Timney in it and forget it.

Some people just want to have something to bitch about

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.