remington xcr stock help

danshae

I have a rem 700 xcr in 300 ultra mag and in barrel channel of the stock there are big crevasses that water could puddle in.I was wondering if anyone has ideas on how to fill these in. and i ordered a glassing-pillar bedding kit with pro bed 2000 and would like to know if this stuff is any good,have read a few reviews that were good.any help would be great.

As for filling the puddle places: I'd consider smoothing the whole barrel channel out (sand paper and dowel or whatever you wish) then either refinish the channel. Or, use some extra glassing-pillar bedding kit excess and fill the puddle places.

RE the pro bed 2000, never used it, thus no comment.

i got the glass bedding bug last year i have done a ton of bedding jobs for me my son's and freind's and think the pro bed 2000 the best i have used when doing a bedding job its not the place to try to save a few buck's just my 2 cent's

DB

one more question?the stock now has a pressure point in the front of the stock should i remove this or not?if i do take it out and float barrel could i put it back in if i have to?

I do take it out and float the thing could i put something back in if need be?

I'm far from and expert on rifle but love to tinker i always take out the the pressure point. and see how they shoot. and if need be put it back in and play with different pressures and see what work's best. so far i only had to put it back on one of my Weatherby's

DB

well I spent about two hours reaming out the barrel channel of the stock and removing the pressure point then it came time to drill out the stock for the pillars,bad idea i used a 5/8th paddle bit and the cheap piece of crap stock shattered so now i have a brand new gun with no stock and a 50.00$ glass bed-pillar kit i cant use.well i was thinking of the h-s precision stocks before all this started any how!I seen them on sale for 259.00$ with aluminum bedding block are they any good?they have to be better than the piece of crap stocks the factory puts on them?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.