remington model 7's

Are these the same action as the 700's?
I had 7MM-08 in a model 7 and a friend of mine had a douglas barrel in a 280 A.I off a 700.The local gunsmith told me it would not work.He just happen to have a 700 action he was trying to move,but I took his word for it.Ileft it the why it was and gave the model 7 to my grandson.I hope the helped?

The model 7 is just a bit shorter than the 700 Short action. Its magazine measures 2.8" max. The safety set up is slightly different, the trigger can be used w/ either but you will have to use safety from Model 7 set up. You can't use a model 7 in a 700 short action stock without changes to stock, not worth the time in my opinion.
They are good actions though, I did have a barrel from my 700 short action installed on a model 7, it was a 358 Win Shilen w/ muzzle brake and became a 350 Rem Mag, the barrel is still 22".
Pa Griz, probably because the cartridge was made for a LA is why your gunsmith said it wouldn't work.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.