Remington CDL .223 Accuracy

Edsguns

Hi, new member here from gun fruendky connecticut. I have been working up loads for the above for some time now. Currently using winchester brass with CCI primer and 24.5 grains varget behind 50 grain hornady varmint Vmax bullets. Chrono'd at 3100 fps. Best accuracy I can get is .85" at 100 yards. 55 grain bullets are all over the place! Also tried a 60 grain and bullet was tumbling before it hit target sideways.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Hi, new member here from gun fruendky connecticut. I have been working up loads for the above for some time now. Currently using winchester brass with CCI primer and 24.5 grains varget behind 50 grain hornady varmint Vmax bullets. Chrono'd at 3100 fps. Best accuracy I can get is .85" at 100 yards. 55 grain bullets are all over the place! Also tried a 60 grain and bullet was tumbling before it hit target sideways.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Call Remington customer service, give them your serial number & let them tell you the twist.

Can you buy ammunition online?

If so run some Federal GMM thru it & see what happens. Typically the GMM runs good in these.

The 50 grain V-max should be a good pill in that gun. If you've got no pressure signs, try pushing it a bit harder and it might tighten up.

I use IMR 4895 in my Rem 223 (VSSF gen 1). Anything over 55grns I can't stabilize bullet wise. I've tried 60s and 62grn bullets and same thing, they hit the target sideways. Stay with 50 or 52grn bullets and all will be well. I'm running 35grn non-lead right now (Cali...) at 3800fps and it makes a nice pink mist out of squirrels.

I have had good luck with all my 223s using Benchmark and 40grn ballistic tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.