Remington 760 I'm impressed

Oldschool280

Took a 760 gamemaster carbine in 280 rem to the range today. 1/2 " groups at 100 yards with 139 hornady sst, 150 corlokts and 165 corelockts. Seem's uncanny. I did let the barrel cool at least ten minutes before each group. Ive heard that they were a accurate , wonder what she'll do at 3-400

My brother has a 760 chambered in 30-06. My grandmother purchased it for my grandfather as an anniversary present in 1954. My brother then recieved it from him in the early 2000's. It shoots remington corelokt 180's well under an inch at 100yds. Definitely quite impressive for a 60 year old factory rifle. Trigger is pretty rough and heavy though. Oh and who had the idea to put a steel butt plate on an '06?

A buddy of mine has one in the 30 odd 6. It shoots like a bolt action. Up here in Wisconsin a lot of kids grow up with 870 Wingmaster shotguns. It makes a pump rifle kind of a natural transition.
I saw a humorous posting from a guy from Pennsylvania once. He set out there they call them Amish machine guns!

Check out - Deer hunting with the Benoits, on you tube. I own a 30-06 - 760 Game Master and it will put shots in a 1/4 inch at 100 yards all day with my hand loads. I would take that rifle any place in North America and Canada hunting.

Growing up and still living in the heart of PA deer country I didn't even know any other type of rifle was even made back in the 60's- mid 70's...everyone carried one,only question was what cartridge did it shoot with the vast majority being 30/06's by far. I've seen some damm fine shooting 760's over years and they still are being used to this day. First rifle I ever used was one my Dad bought in a bar parking lot..$50.00 for it. One of the best shooting ones I ever saw was one chambered in .244 rem...it was a sub half minute 100 yard rifle..I was my son shoot a deer at 450 yards with one...a classic All American rifle and I promise you one or more can be found in every gun cabinet in PA ..

Yep the 760 pump and the 742 semi auto were good old get the job done hunting rifles. Problem with them these days is if you break a part they become a wall hanger. There are no available new parts anywhere. A friend of mine had a 760 carbine in 30-06. Man that thing had some muzzle blast. He killed a train load of deer with Winchester 125 gr factory ammo. That bullet would make the vitals of a deer look like a weed eater had been turned loose in them. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.