Remington 710 ?

M1A1ABRAMS

Has anyone had a good experience with accuracy in this model ? Is it worth loading for as a factory rifle ? I know it's a throwaway rifle due to the barrel being pressed in. But are they generally ok shooters ?
Edit: In a 300 Win Mag

Well, it's not a model 700 by any means. My Model 710 in .308 couldn't do any better than 1-1/2" at 100 yards. I tried all sorts of ammo to find something it liked but to no avail. It also developed the same bolt jamming issues as the 783's. My typical kill distance is 80 to 400 yards where I hunt. Therefore, I never took it into the field. As I had zero confidence in my 710... it got traded.

So now I'm left with the idea that Remington struggles in the "budget" market (as I've tried several models - all of which had a "this is getting traded" outcome) and I feel there are better options available. For instance my Savage Axis .308 and .243 model 110 are off the shelf tack drivers and are what I consider "budget" rifles as well. To be clear, I'm not promoting any particular brand - just offering up what I have experienced.

Conversely, I have friends that have had no issues with their 710's. I guess it's all in what you are experiencing and expect from your particular rifle. For me, I just stay away from Remington and Winchester "budget" anything.

Last edited:
Well, it's not a model 700 by any means. My Model 710 in .308 couldn't do any better than 1-1/2" at 100 yards. I tried all sorts of ammo to find something it liked but to no avail. It also developed the same bolt jamming issues as the 783's. My typical kill range is 80 to 400 yards where I hunt. Therefore, I never took it into the field. As I had zero confidence in my 710... it got traded.

So now I'm left with the idea that Remington struggles in the "budget" market (as I've tried several) and I feel there are better options available. For instance my Savage Axis .308 and .243 model 110 are off the shelf tack drivers and are what I consider "budget" rifles as well. To be clear, I'm not promoting any particular brand - just offering up what I have experienced.

Conversely, I have friends that have had no issues with their 710's. I guess it's all in what you are experiencing with your particular rifle.
I picked it up on a whim. I was there and it was cheap enough. So I was just curious if anyone got them to shoot. And if possibly if a certain caliber did better than others. Or possibly got better results with hand loads as to factory ammo. I get a good day. I will get out & give it a whirl with a good scope. Just to see if its worth keeping or use for a trade on something better. Not exactly sure why the guy wanted to get rid of it. Possibly not a good shooter. Or maybe just to much recoil for him. I do know he got a smaller caliber to replace this. I got this info from his FIL.

I got the Remmies in trade deals and picked up 1 or 2 for a really good price as well. E for effort for trying something different but definately not keepers. And, if anyone understands picking up something on a whim, it's me! LOL. The best 22 rifle I own is a Remmie 597 - 10/22 wannabe. That was a "whim" rifle. It shoots clover leafs at 50 yards with cheap standard velocity ammo. Who'd have guessed? I topped it with a Sig Buckmaster 3-9x40mm. It's laser accurate and a keeper.